Attachments

• bull 2011.jpg
    bull 2011.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 7,211
  • 021 (2).jpg
    021 (2).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 7,285
Non insulated...
I have an archery pair od underarmor ridge runner / reaper (( forgot exact name) they just came out last years hunt and i find them super comfy and VERY light!
Give em a try and check reviews now they have a season under their belt.

I really like mine.

They have an even lighter set called stealth walkers or something like that. I dont have those though thought about it...

http://m.underarmour.com/underarmour2/product/productDetail.do?subscript=1&itemId=1226086&indexNum=3

Sorry on my phone atm though this is the link to my boots. Good luck in your search and powder hunt for your first.

i know colorado somewhat,i used to live in estestes park,and loveland colorado,now oregon is my home,both mountain country states,i have hunted in my danner boots used by our fire line guys,for 5 years,and i have had not a problem one with my danner boots,and i can say without not a drop of hesitation that i have elk hunted in some of the most steepest,most ruthless,most roughest elk country you can imagine,and you guys are right on the money when you say a good mountain boot is needed,and should be wanted by annyone who hunts in steep terrain,and danner makes some of the best boots in the bussiness for that kind of hunting,buy a good pair of danner boots and you will neaver look back to another brand again.:)

danner makes some of the best boots in the bussiness for that kind of hunting,buy a good pair of danner boots and you will neaver look back to another brand again.:)

:confused::confused:

Have you ever tried anything on but a Danner?

Last edited:
I have the Danner Pronghorns in the 400 gram and they work great for me. This is my 2nd pair in 12 years. Last time I ordered them 1/2 size too small. Wore them after using them on a hunt. Called Danner customer service and told them it was my mistake. Sent them back to them, they sent me an upgraded model. Their cust. serv. was more than I expected and I like being able to wear them right out of the box without much break in.

Danners have been the only boot I can wear with comfort. I'm sure the mountaineering type boots work well also, I just like to have a boot that I can wear for most types of hunting. You might want to consider a 200 gram insulate, might give you some more versatility in future hunts.

Good Luck and have enjoy!

I have an arsenal of boots in my closet, some get more use than others (some I'm still waiting to wear for the first time). As far as boots that I would use on a western hunt, I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns, Kenetrek Mountain Safaris, Under Armour Speed Freaks, Cabela's Perfekt Hikers by Meindl, and Cabela's Silent Stalk Sneakers. I'm planning a mule deer hunt in Unit 43 in Colorado and although I'd like to use the UAs or the Silent Stalk Sneakers, just what Fin talked about has me reaching for my Kenetrek. It will be a bowhunt and one thing about a mountain boot is they aren't quiet, but given the terrain and the size of the pack on my back I'm gonna stay away from the light boots and go to something with a little more support. If I were hunting on a day trip or something similar, I think the UAs are hard to beat. If I had to choose just one boot to use for all conditions, it'd be my Kenetrek. No break in time and fit like a dream.

Ive got a pair of whites gortex smoke jumpers in 10 1/2 ee if your interested in a stiff "rock"boot.nearly new,id make a good deal on.

Couple years ago i ordered a pair of lowa sheephunter and kenetrek mountain extreme boots online from a place that had free return shipping (thinking I would return one pair). Ended up keeping both and no regrets once I got over the price. Both are great boots. Lowa is more comfortable for my narrow foot, but like both a lot.

I have owned 2 pairs of Danner Pronghorns and have sent them both back (I bought the first pair and the second was its replacement). Both would not keep my feet dry and the second pair had stitching also coming apart after one weekend of wear. I have owned other Danners with no problems though and still have a few pairs of them.

2 years ago, I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's and have great luck with them so far.

I used to buy about one pair of boots per year and would wear them out. Now I own a lot of boots, for all different kind of terrain and different seasons, and they all are lasting much longer.

I went to Cabela's & liked the Meindl Denali. They fit my feet very well. Plus I can cash in my Cabelas pts. Just waiting for a Cabela's coupon in the mail to buy them. Thanks for all your great advice.

I don't always wear boots, but when I do I want a rigid sole, and heel. More than the Pronghorn gave me.

Santiam, Raptor, Elk ridge, and Canadian are my idea of a Danner boot I would buy. I've owned about 3 pair over 20 years and they are serviceable. I like the resolable models.

I have the Meindl Ak Hikers currently.

The pronghorns will work great. I can't bring myself to stop wearing my 7yr old pronghorns. Never leaked or had a single problem and they've packed a half dozen elk some deer, bear, moose, chuckars, etc here in Idaho and Oregon. Wish I bought a few extra pairs before they discontinued them. I have heard guys complain about wet feet, not sure if the new style has problems?

Really comes down to what you like. Some guys are happy in stiff boots, some are happy in trail runners. If you like the pronghorn they will work fine as they are in the middle.

I hunted for years in Danner Ft. Lewis boots and really liked them, but there are a lot of good boots these days.

For a good elk hunt you need good boots, a good scope, and quality bullets. Everything else fall in line behind that.

new boots required

I have made 3 trips to ID elk/mule hunting. On all 3 trips with different pairs of boots. My feet got tore up bad (like all the hide off the back of each foot tore off). 50 cent piece size..bloody oozy mess

I wore boots that I have hunted whitetail in Wis for years in, cabela's outfitters, rocky's and a pair of irish setter's. They all were broke in, but failed miserably in steep terrain.

I have size 11 feet with a narrow to medium width, but have narrow heels. I needs some advise on boots as well. Do I need a custom fit ? anyone out there also have narrow heels ?
I also used heat moldable sole insoles instead of the stock footbeds... didn't get it done.

I need to get this figgered out before my next hunt....

gspman....sounds like u need to do to a foot doctor for professional help. Sorry man, that's rough for a hunter. I'm fairly color-blind. I have a hard time blood trailing game.

You just need to try on a bunch of boots to see what fits you best. You will get a lot of recommendations on here but some brands to look at are Schnees, kenetrek, Lowa, Hanwag, Zamberlan, Cabelas Meindl, etc. I am in the middle of this, I've tried on several pairs but I'm still looking. Check out Lathrop and Sons. They can guide you in the right direction and if you have the coin, can basically give you a custom boot, you just send in pics of your feet and measurements. They have awesome footbeds from what I hear.

I have a pair of Meindl's that I have about 50 or so miles on and they feel great on my feet. I also bought a pair of Schnee's Hunter II when I was in Bozeman a few weeks ago. Not necessarily what you need for your hunt, but they also seem to have great support, especially for a pack boot.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back