Elk Feeding Habits

CiK

First time elk hunter here. Trying my luck out on a bow hunt in early September. I have a few questions. Most of what I have studied says elk water & feed at lower elevation and bed at higher elevations.

Do they ever change that up? A few places I have found on GE, it looks like there are some high elevation plains that hold good green vegetation. Would they feed up and then down the mountain a little to bed?

Just wondering if I should only look for feeding areas in the lower elevations. I am Google Earthed out.

First time elk hunter here. Trying my luck out on a bow hunt in early September. I have a few questions. Most of what I have studied says elk water & feed at lower elevation and bed at higher elevations.

Do they ever change that up? A few places I have found on GE, it looks like there are some high elevation plains that hold good green vegetation. Would they feed up and then down the mountain a little to bed?

Just wondering if I should only look for feeding areas in the lower elevations. I am Google Earthed out.

Bow or rifle?

They absolutely will, especially in high pressure areas. Bald ridges give them great standoff. It is really tough to kill a bull 150yds from any tree, during bow season. Rifle season might be different, in that they might be coming into much smaller openings in the timber.

They will feed where ever the food is and they feel the safest. Typically in evening then head down to stay cool, not cold. Then head up as the temps warm back up and they tend to stay in the shadier areas. Least where I hunt.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back