Eastern Wyo Pics

JLDemo

For the past few years I've taken a different approach on hunting Wyo, I've been putting in for different units across the state I've never hunted for no other reason than I want to hunt and see different units. This year I drew a second choice type 1 and two doe tags, all in different units. Went out this weekend to check out my type 1 unit, didn't know what to expect since it was a second choice, easy draw, hard access and a few hours north and east from home. I was pleasantly surprised by the walk-ins and the amount of BLM and State Land that was accessible via the walk-ins. (Another reason why I donate when and what I can to AccessYes!) Didn't see anything eye popping but was excited to see the new country and was happy with the amount of antelope on public ground. Everything was green and tall, some of the walk-ins are so tall the antelope were concealed until they stood up. The BLM and State Lands were also green and animals looked healthy. It'll be good year in Eastern Wyo. For a low-end unit, I'm excited about the amount of animals. I apologize for the blurry pics, I'm no photographer but I gave a whirl.

View attachment 85605
IMG_5886.jpg
IMG_5887.jpg
IMG_5890.jpg
IMG_5892.jpg
IMG_5893.jpg
IMG_5895.jpg
IMG_5896.jpg
IMG_5897.jpg
IMG_5898.jpg

Last edited:
Decent goats in the 2nd and 5th pics. My rancher's neighbor commented that the amount of green around the Douglas area is unheard of for this time of the summer.

Last edited:
Picture 5 makes that doe look like she's wearing a John Denver wig to match the buck's green toupee.

Good job on the pictures! Thanks for sharing.

I'd agree with you that there are no shooters in your pictures, but he vegetation is unreal for a week into August!

Um, take a closer look at that buck with the greenery. Those hooks add length that is hard to judge.

I'd agree with you that there are no shooters in your pictures, but he vegetation is unreal for a week into August!

I was more excited to see the quality of habitat and numbers than size. We've had a boat load of rain since early July and it hasn't let up. It'll be a game changer for those banking on sitting in blinds over water holes. The green has been a nice change of scenery from the usual August burnt colors.

Um, take a closer look at that buck with the greenery. Those hooks add length that is hard to judge.

I don't think anyone is expecting anything of any size to come from this part of Wyo, but the buck in reference would be a great rep of the unit. Lots of does with fawns as well. I don't know if it was because the grass was so tall or the lack of population, but I didn't see or hear a single coyote. I was hoping to put a few down or at the very least put the fear into them. How are things shaping up for you?

Our area for antelope is very dry so archery season is iffy, west of Saratoga.
We've had great rains as of late. They keep building all around us and heading over the hill to you.
I have word that there is a grasshopper problem in Platte County. Not much hay in some spots and forage may be an issue. They will be doing aerial spraying for hoppers when conditions are right.This is west of Wheatland.
Pretty good conditions for us on the Albany Co side. Early fall? It was in 40's this morning again.

Thanks for sharing. All this does is get me more excited to make the trip west. October 3rd can't come soon enough.

Unfortunately length doesn't mean that much on a goat, but he does have some real curl at the top. It's really all the mass measurements that make the score on a goat as most know. I just can't believe how lush it is out there for August!

We've had great rains as of late. They keep building all around us and heading over the hill to you.
I have word that there is a grasshopper problem in Platte County. Not much hay in some spots and forage may be an issue. They will be doing aerial spraying for hoppers when conditions are right.This is west of Wheatland.
Pretty good conditions for us on the Albany Co side. Early fall? It was in 40's this morning again.

Hope you guys do well and put some down, also hope you guys keep some of the rain and hail on your side of the pass. Good luck this season.

Apparently I need to be more picky or work on my field judging of antelope because I would definitely shoot number buck 2,4/5, and 6.

Apparently I need to be more picky or work on my field judging of antelope because I would definitely shoot number buck 2,4/5, and 6.

I wouldn't judge you the least bit, especially after the size of the last few whitetail bucks I took in Kansas. Public land and archery, but nothing Kansas is known for. I have no patience when I have a decent buck in bow range.

Pictures are great! Nice to hear how wet and green it has been out there this year! Looking forward to Oct 1st :hump:

Early Oct around Douglas is close to freezing early a.m. and t-shirts by 9:30-10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back