Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wilderness Backpack Pronghorn Hunt

BackofBeyond

I’ve had the good fortune of drawing a rifle pronghorn tag in my home state. The fun part is a portion of my unit is designated as a wilderness study area which happens to hold a fair population of speed goats.

I did some scouting this last weekend, found lots of does and fawns on private and some small dink bucks with them. Nothing to get to excited about. I’m sure once September rolls around the larger bucks will be in the neighborhood as well.

I also ventured into the wilderness area for the afternoon and found a decent buck, not huge by WY or NM standards, but a decent buck for here. A wise man, also a HTer, told me that I should aim for the experience, not the result. A guy hears/reads all about wilderness elk hunts, backpack deer hunts… but the majority of antelope is spent driving dirt roads, glassing, sitting in a side-by-side etc. never a backpack hunt.

So that’s the experience I’m going for. I’ll explore the north of the unit from the truck this weekend, then plan on spending a weekend in the wilderness sometime in September. Unless scouting shows something different I’ll have two weekends to scoot into the wilderness, find a decent buck, and seal the deal.

Maybe there’s a reason there’s no such thing as a backpack pronghorn hunt, maybe this will be one of the dumber things I’ve done in my life, or it could absolutely be amazing. Only one way to find out.

8B31E0A2-F59A-4096-B9C2-33C2E2964F4B.jpeg

That’s awesome! I was 6 miles in last year on a deer hunt and saw some awesome antelope bucks. Definitely considering going back in there at some point if I can draw the tag. It was a blast and didn’t see another soul back there.
Not seeing anyone has serious appeal

Good luck with the hunt, I like the sound of things already

I’ve had the good fortune of drawing a rifle pronghorn tag in my home state. The fun part is a portion of my unit is designated as a wilderness study area which happens to hold a fair population of speed goats.

I did some scouting this last weekend, found lots of does and fawns on private and some small dink bucks with them. Nothing to get to excited about. I’m sure once September rolls around the larger bucks will be in the neighborhood as well.

I also ventured into the wilderness area for the afternoon and found a decent buck, not huge by WY or NM standards, but a decent buck for here. A wise man, also a HTer, told me that I should aim for the experience, not the result. A guy hears/reads all about wilderness elk hunts, backpack deer hunts… but the majority of antelope is spent driving dirt roads, glassing, sitting in a side-by-side etc. never a backpack hunt.

So that’s the experience I’m going for. I’ll explore the north of the unit from the truck this weekend, then plan on spending a weekend in the wilderness sometime in September. Unless scouting shows something different I’ll have two weekends to scoot into the wilderness, find a decent buck, and seal the deal.

Maybe there’s a reason there’s no such thing as a backpack pronghorn hunt, maybe this will be one of the dumber things I’ve done in my life, or it could absolutely be amazing. Only one way to find out.

View attachment 287290
Can’t wait to read about this one! Best part about a backcountry antelope hunt is the pack out. It’s gonna be way sweeter than any other species! Gotta love all the upside and no heavy as fu€k pack out for miles!

View attachment 287290

What part of the Frank Church is that? I don’t recognize it.

This sounds like a great hunt in the making. This year I’ve decided to tackle my antelope hunt with my backpack and tent as well. Fortunately the area is big enough I should have some of my own space but it is anything but wilderness. I’m eager to hear how this goes for you!

I love that buck, great looking coat as well. I hunted pronghorn with my sons once and ended up in a part of the unit that wasn't at all the original plan, we were hunting as high as 9,000 to 10,000 feet and seeing pronghorn. As we were packing my sons goat back to the truck we met up with the warden and he warned us to be careful about grizz now that we had bloody packs. The pronghorn my sons got weren't Booners by any means, but it was a perfect adventure. Good luck and take lots of pics for those of us who couldn't draw a tag no matter how big the box of Crayons was.

Last edited:
Your plan sounds like a perfect excuse for getting a new EXO K4 pack. Better yet, buy a fellow HTer’s slightly used K3 so he can buy a new K4!
You’re already using me as a guinea pig with the Roughtech, and I’m good on packs. I like the EXO packs but they just weren’t long enough for me when I tried them on. That was quite a while ago though.

Sounds like that'll be an awesome hunt. Always good to get away from folks, even better with a tag in your pocket.

I like the EXO packs but they just weren’t long enough for me when I tried them on. That was quite a while ago though.
The new K4 packs are adjustable from 22'-26.5" frame height. Treat yourself, come on.

Sounds like that'll be an awesome hunt. Always good to get away from folks, even better with a tag in your pocket.

The new K4 packs are adjustable from 22'-26.5" frame height. Treat yourself, come on.
I've got a pack and frame I really like, and I've already treated myself to a new rifle... it's squeezing blood from a stone at this point.

View attachment 287290

My favorite place to hunt pronghorn is roadless. 110lb pack on the way out with camp is no joke, even just 4 miles, but can be done in a single trip. I've done it twice and can't wait to go back. The solitude is the best part, the game is less spooky, and if you skin and quarter quickly, meat tastes excellent. Good luck!

View attachment 287290
Definitely following. Solitude on a hunt makes a man yearn for simpler times. This will be a great hunt and can’t wait to hear how it turns out.

Back