Easier to kill a big bull in Archery or Rifle season ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
I hear people argue and Discuss both ways are better or worse. If you were to hunt a season for a big bull, which would you prefer ?

It depends on the state and the timing of the archery and rifle seasons. In Washington, the best bet is archery, because you have to draw a permit before you can kill anything bigger than a spike, and archery permits are much easier to draw.

What ever season has the rut going on, rifle or bow. IMHO Big Bulls are much easier to hunt during the rut, they let their guards down when they start chasen the ladies. The challenge is to get a good shot with all of his ladies around him.

depends on the state and the season. I dont think there would be an easier hunt that UT or AZ early bull with the rifle. All i have to say is that if i had an extra 30 yards of range when i have bowhunted the last few years i would have killed a 360+ bull every time. Even a muzz would have been great to have in my hands on the last 2 years. That being said.. rifle hunt first if its an early hunt, then archery rut.

Its been my exerience that Isee many more big bulls in archery season than rifle sesaon., seeing is not killing however. ;)

I think your odds of killing on in bow season are slightly better though, just due to the numbers that you'll encounter.

bambi.....your right, seeing is not killing. Obviously seeing em' is easier during the archery seasons because of the rut but, there are some states that offer rifle hunts during the rut. IMO, you don't get any "easier" than that.

In areas where unlimited over the counter tags are available for both, I'd say rifle gives you the best chance. It takes no time to 'wise up' those bulls when you get 9 hunters per square mile for two months each fall...
In a limited area, whichever season falls on the rut should provide the best opportunity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back