Yeti GOBOX Collection

Colorado Winter

Prepare hard, get in shape and be ready to put in a lot of hard miles if necessary. The work you put in ahead of time will pay off. There will still be elk on the mountain. Don’t let doom and gloom ruin your dream. Get as proficient as you can with your rifle from multiple setups and practice getting set for a shot on things like your pack. Enjoy your hunt!
Thank you!

You kinda sound like you've thrown the towel in on this hunt already. Just reminds me of an old saying that 10% of elk hunters kill 90% of the elk each year.
If you're locked in on this hunt I'd focus on the experience and roll with it, why worry about it at this point, you're already defeated before you even even step foot out of Mich... On the bright side, Co has more elk than they know what do do with :LOL:. Go Hunt then tell us about it!

Prepare hard, get in shape and be ready to put in a lot of hard miles if necessary. The work you put in ahead of time will pay off. There will still be elk on the mountain. Don’t let doom and gloom ruin your dream. Get as proficient as you can with your rifle from multiple setups and practice getting set for a shot on things like your pack. Enjoy your hunt!
This is spot on. You can’t control Mother Nature anyway. Even if the guides success drops back to 50% if your in shape, got a good attitude, and practiced with your weapon and ready to seize the opportunity, you will have done your part and probably be successful. It’s not all about harvesting an elk and the views won’t be Michigan.😂. The toughest hunts usually end up the most memorable. That’s something many forget.

Doesn’t sound promising. Again feel bad the animals are suffering so I don’t want to sound callous when I say this because I am a hunter and conservationist.

This is my first trip and first Elk hunt. I’m 56 and who knows if I’ll get the chance to do this again.

I’ve already spent half of what the trip costs as deposits. I don’t think I can cancel and wait for a better year and get a refund. Just sucks all the way around. It’s expensive and I hate to think I drive all the way from Michigan on my first trip after the worst winter and don’t have a decent chance to harvest an elk.

I mean I’ll enjoy the experience and hunting with my best friend but for the money I can also do that at home in deer camp. I’m coming to CO and spending this cash because the guide has had 90 to 95 percent harvest success. It on a ranching for wildlife property in Hayden.
If you don't mind me asking - which ranch and which season. I suspect you will be just fine if you are on a RFW property. Feel free to private message if you want. Most of the private ranches and RFW's start to load up with animals once the public pressure and or weather starts going.

You kinda sound like you've thrown the towel in on this hunt already. Just reminds me of an old saying that 10% of elk hunters kill 90% of the elk each year.
If you're locked in on this hunt I'd focus on the experience and roll with it, why worry about it at this point, you're already defeated before you even even step foot out of Mich... On the bright side, Co has more elk than they know what do do with :LOL:. Go Hunt then tell us about it!
Sound advice. Thanks

If you don't mind me asking - which ranch and which season. I suspect you will be just fine if you are on a RFW property. Feel free to private message if you want. Most of the private ranches and RFW's start to load up with animals once the public pressure and or weather starts going.
I’m hunting with JD Outfitters. Hunt is mid September. Since it’s RFW I can use my rifle.

You've got a rut hunt? With a rifle? I don't care how bad the previous winter was, I'd be stoked! There will still be elk and there will be people who kill elk. The winter will be tough on calves and older age class animals but there will still be quality bulls around. Unless you've totally given up hope, I'd go into that hunt pretty excited. With all the moisture, antler growth should be really solid this year.

You've got a rut hunt? With a rifle? I don't care how bad the previous winter was, I'd be stoked! There will still be elk and there will be people who kill elk. The winter will be tough on calves and older age class animals but there will still be quality bulls around. Unless you've totally given up hope, I'd go into that hunt pretty excited. With all the moisture, antler growth should be really solid this year.
Thanks. That’s why I’m asking. Never hunted elk before. I feel better about it now. Believe me I’m super excited. Been thinking about it for a long time.

I’m hunting with JD Outfitters. Hunt is mid September. Since it’s RFW I can use my rifle.
I suspect since you said Hayden they will have you on Cross Mtn. The rut hunt should be fantastic, they should give you the option to be choosey. It will be quite memorable if you get a raining/foggy morning with limited visibility and have 5-10 bulls screaming around you.
You will have a memorable hunt and should be in alot of elk regardless of the winter kill this winter. Post some pictures when the hunt is over for all of us jealous public land guys.

Last edited:
This is a note from CPW concerning the proposed 40% cut in tags. Hope this helps.

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about the reduction of quota in the Northwest region. If the suggested quotas are approved, these reductions will impact 1st, 4th, and late season/leftover rifle tags for bull and cow elk tags. They will not affect archery and muzzle loader seasons, or OTC tags. Where hunters could see the biggest impact is in deer and pronghorn tags.

I suspect since you said Hayden they will have you on Cross Mtn. The rut hunt should be fantastic, they should give you the option to be choosey. It will be quite memorable if you get a raining/foggy morning with limited visibility and have 5-10 bulls screaming around you.
You will have a memorable hunt and should be in alot of elk regardless of the winter kill this winter. Post some pictures when the hunt is over for all of us jealous public land guys.
We’re going to be at 4 mile Ranch. Not sure if that’s still Cross Mtn.

An RFW hunt in September with a rifle? You’ll be fine. Even if this ranch loses half it’s elk (which seems unlikely, even this winter) you will still have a heck of a hunt.

I’m jealous!

If you need more encouragement... lots of water on the landscape= good feed, and less other elk = good feed. The antlers the bull elk are wearing grows all summer, and depends a lot on the quality of diet. So the elk you do see could be some very healthy looking specimens.

Getting really concerned about my September hunt in and around Hayden. Been reading how bad the winter has been. Spending a lot of money for a guide and hate to think I’m already going to be behind the 8 ball. Any thoughts. Feel bad that the herds are struggling. Really sucks.
Wow, super funny that I found this thread. I am going to the 4 Mile Ranch at the end of September this year for a rifle hunt. What else have you leaned, I’m concerned as well, but a RFW hunt seems too good to pass up!!
And, I live in MN, so we are damn near neighbors.

Let the dust settle on the winter and then call the guide. He is going to be as good of information as you’re going to get. If he is 90-95% in the past then he will likely be thinking about the same things you are and trying to game plan how to keep his clients happy and successful. I still bet you will be fine for elk. If this was deer or antelope than different story.
Well, it’s a year later now, how has the dust settled on the Elk winter kill? Is it as bad as you expected. I have a hunt at 4 Mile Ranch this year. Little concerned but would like to understand more.
Thanks

Wow, super funny that I found this thread. I am going to the 4 Mile Ranch at the end of September this year for a rifle hunt. What else have you leaned, I’m concerned as well, but a RFW hunt seems too good to pass up!!
And, I live in MN, so we are damn near neighbors.
What we learned and was told back then was it effected the pronghorn more than the elk. Both my buddy and I tagged out by the third day of the hunt. We had JD as a guide. If you can ask for him he was fantastic. He walked me dead but we got the job done.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back