Colorado Winter

markwilks

Getting really concerned about my September hunt in and around Hayden. Been reading how bad the winter has been. Spending a lot of money for a guide and hate to think I’m already going to be behind the 8 ball. Any thoughts. Feel bad that the herds are struggling. Really sucks.

Last edited:
I’m a nerd and I’m doing ok….back in High School not so much.

But yah….Hayden is getting hammered. We got another 10” today here in Meeker. Elk will fare much better than deer and pronghorn. Maybe call your outfitter and see what they say?

I have no clue what’s going on down there but it’s damn hard to winter kill elk. It would mostly be the calves if there was some. I bet you’re good to go.

I have no clue what’s going on down there but it’s damn hard to winter kill elk. It would mostly be the calves if there was some. I bet you’re good to go.
Not sure where you are getting your info- Dead elk/deer/antelope everywhere along the roads from Rifle-Craig-Baggs-Maybell. These are the animals that actually made it to the roads. The real damage won't become visible until the snow melts. Basically every week from Thanksgiving until now they have a major weather disturbance with significant snow and cold. For the 1st time in 5 months we are on the brink of normal weather for this time of the year. Winter kill is still occurring.

If the CPW makes the recommended changes of 40+% percent in tags, the only thing you can be assured of is less hunters and less game for those whom get the tags.

Good Luck

I'm further east between Krem and Walden and I think we're doing ok over here. Yes it is deep and still snowing. That said it has been a bit warmer and we're starting to see areas of melt. There will be pockets of ok and pockets of gnar when it all shakes out. Depending on your tag you are possibly in the "mega unit" where you can target your hunt area wisely. This nerd has faith ✊🏻

Not from Colorado area, but I was under the impression that the Elk tend to move to lower elevations before the big snow arrives, whereas the deer usually stay in their area, and they suffer the most. Or do the deer tend to migrate also? I'm sure if a major snowfall occurs before the migration starts, it's really tough on all the animals that forage and graze for their food.

Not from Colorado area, but I was under the impression that the Elk tend to move to lower elevations before the big snow arrives, whereas the deer usually stay in their area, and they suffer the most. Or do the deer tend to migrate also? I'm sure if a major snowfall occurs before the migration starts, it's really tough on all the animals that forage and graze for their food.

They are being impacted in their winter range, which is the lower elevations to which the high country elk and deer migrate. There are also resident herds of deer and antelope, and elk to a lesser extent, in many of those areas all year.

The Colorado winters never caused me to lose any sleep regarding the following hunting seasons!

I would not hunt this whole area for several years. The ranch I normally have hunted on is saying maybe 80% winter kill on top of the CPW slaughter of nearly all mature bucks. Both species migrate to their winter ranges. There was a photo of the elk in the Rangley area actually sleeping on the patios. We are not out of danger yet some will die due to being so weak already. This is going to really hurt everyone that lives in these areas that are dependent on hunting. The ripple effect will be significant.

I would not hunt this whole area for several years. The ranch I normally have hunted on is saying maybe 80% winter kill on top of the CPW slaughter of nearly all mature bucks. Both species migrate to their winter ranges. There was a photo of the elk in the Rangley area actually sleeping on the patios. We are not out of danger yet some will die due to being so weak already. This is going to really hurt everyone that lives in these areas that are dependent on hunting. The ripple effect will be significant.
3rd or even 4th person accounts are where the really accurate info lies. Are you claiming 80% elk kill?

Dont get me wrong its a really bad winter but elk are tough to kill except with an Amtrak @ 65 mph.

Now if you are talking deer yep they are getting absolutely slaughtered.

The migration typically gets going once the snow starts getting a foot or two in December. They normally do and will migrate, but this year we had unprecedented amounts of snow and cold in Dec/Jan. We were getting a major storms every 5-7 days, including several storms that lasted 3-5 days of continual snow. The late December cow hunts were an eye opener, by late December there should be herds of thousands out in the sage brush. This year by mid December there was no sage brush visible and what herds you could see were stuck on hill tops and I doubt they were able to move or survive. It kept snowing and snowing this year. The biologist appear to have a pretty good idea what has occurred and its not pretty.

Sorry to paint this picture but it truly sad and I don't know what we or the CPW could have done due to the volume of snow and bad weather. Again,we still got more snow this week and it was 5 degrees at my house this morning and the wind has been blowing hard 4 out of the last 6 days.

The forecast after today is 40/50's for the next 10 days which should really open up some areas especially if the damm wind blows.

Doesn’t sound promising. Again feel bad the animals are suffering so I don’t want to sound callous when I say this because I am a hunter and conservationist.

This is my first trip and first Elk hunt. I’m 56 and who knows if I’ll get the chance to do this again.

I’ve already spent half of what the trip costs as deposits. I don’t think I can cancel and wait for a better year and get a refund. Just sucks all the way around. It’s expensive and I hate to think I drive all the way from Michigan on my first trip after the worst winter and don’t have a decent chance to harvest an elk.

I mean I’ll enjoy the experience and hunting with my best friend but for the money I can also do that at home in deer camp. I’m coming to CO and spending this cash because the guide has had 90 to 95 percent harvest success. It on a ranching for wildlife property in Hayden.

Last edited:
Doesn’t sound promising. Again feel bad the animals are suffering so I don’t want to sound callous when I say this because I am a hunter and conservationist.

This is my first trip and first Elk hunt. I’m 56 and who knows if I’ll get the chance to do this again.

I’ve already spent half of what the trip costs as deposits. I don’t think I can cancel and wait for a better year and get a refund. Just sucks all the way around. It’s expensive and I hate to think I drive all the way from Michigan on my first trip after the worst winter and don’t have a decent chance to harvest an elk.

I mean I’ll enjoy the experience and hunting with my best friend but for the money I can also do that at home in deer camp. I’m coming to CO and spending this cash because the guide has had 90 to 95 percent harvest success. It on a ranching for wildlife property in Hayden.
Let the dust settle on the winter and then call the guide. He is going to be as good of information as you’re going to get. If he is 90-95% in the past then he will likely be thinking about the same things you are and trying to game plan how to keep his clients happy and successful. I still bet you will be fine for elk. If this was deer or antelope than different story.

Prepare hard, get in shape and be ready to put in a lot of hard miles if necessary. The work you put in ahead of time will pay off. There will still be elk on the mountain. Don’t let doom and gloom ruin your dream. Get as proficient as you can with your rifle from multiple setups and practice getting set for a shot on things like your pack. Enjoy your hunt!

Prepare hard, get in shape and be ready to put in a lot of hard miles if necessary. The work you put in ahead of time will pay off. There will still be elk on the mountain. Don’t let doom and gloom ruin your dream. Get as proficient as you can with your rifle from multiple setups and practice getting set for a shot on things like your pack. Enjoy your hunt!
Thank you! I’m putting in the physical work and practice with my rifle. Got to get my legs and lungs and back in better shape.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back