Yeti GOBOX Collection

colorado otc

Nick87

Four of us are heading out for our first elk hunt in September 2015. Most likely otc in colorado this will be a first for pretty much all of us any direction to a certain unit or area in a unit. Just looking for best odds of bringing back some meat thanks!

Last edited:
Given there are 250K+ elk spread across Colorado, finding them in September should be doable. Look for areas at least two miles from a road or trail and you will probably hear/see them. I know that sounds rather vague.

I would go to this link on the CPW website and see what units have the best harvest rates. That will give you some ideas of units to start with. Then, look at the units with good harvest rates and see how much accessible land exists.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx

I think you will find plenty of public land units with good success.

Welcome to the forum.

Personally,I think Sept is the best month for a newbie to go.Elk have big mouths and like to give their positions up at that time.After you pick a unit follow Randys suggestions,but learn all you can about elk.And, always always know the wind.I don't care how much spray or special clothes you wear,if the wind blows to them its over!!Nothing more fun then archery elk so start saving for the following year too;its addicting

September is a great time to be in the high country. You do not need the gear you need for a late hunt as weather is normally pretty good.One of the units in NW Colorado that allows OTC tags would be my choice.I have never been there that I did not find elk.
Plan on temps to range from 30 degrees to 90 degrees .If you are in good condition ,try a back pack hunt into one of the wilderness. But remember if successful you will have a couple hundred pounds of elk meat to pack out.Most first time elk hunters under estimate that task,me included.On my first elk hunt ,I lost 8 pounds in 6 days if that tells you anything.
I have hunted nW Colorado for more than 30 years as a non resident,so if I can help let me know.

I assume you are hunting public ground?
Are you (and you buddies) in good shape?
If this is your first trip out west?
Apply for cow tags! can apply on line and start building up bonus points (read the regs to apply for bonus pt as first choice, second choice the unit you want).
You want to hunt in September? Then you need to go high up, Flat tops, San Juans, Routt NF, White River, are place I've hunted that have animals (many other places but I don't have any experience with them, maybe someone else will chime in?)
Not sure how many OTC tags are available in Sept, most of the better zones you will have to draw for tags. Many (most?) of the units have OTC bull tags for second & thirds seasons (mid Oct to Nov). Most of the locals hunt 3rd and 4th seasons when the Elk have migrated out of the high country.
Ton more advice but really need to narrow down what you want and can do.

Good luck in the Fall!!

It is never to soon to start applying for preference points for the restricted units. Hunt OTC units and build up those points. I have hunted in the past, units 56 and 561, some great country with good access. I based myself in Salida. Good luck and get is shape and remember to have a good time.

I have 12 points for elk and 6 points for deer.

It is never to soon to start applying for preference points for the restricted units. Hunt OTC units and build up those points. I have hunted in the past, units 56 and 561, some great country with good access. I based myself in Salida. Good luck and get is shape and remember to have a good time.

I have 12 points for elk and 6 points for deer.

Salida is a beautiful area with some great fly fishing :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back