Colorado 2nd Season Drop Camp Recap

How was your experience with Tel Gates of River's Bend Outfitters??? Met Tel briefly last year and was wondering about using River's Bend...

How was your experience with Tel Gates of River's Bend Outfitters??? Met Tel briefly last year and was wondering about using River's Bend...

Tel really took care of us. We had eleven people spread out over two camps, and of the two camps this was the first elk hunt for about 7 of the people. As can be expected, everyone had lots of questions and pretty much everyone reached out to Tel on multiple occasions. He was always quick to respond and answer any questions everyone had. He was involved in helping us plan for the trip and took every effort to make sure our time in the backcountry was going to be comfortable. The night before he packed us in, Tel and the crew came and met up with us and Meeker and shared a meal and a few beers, which was great as well.

Our camp was set up in a great area. The camp was less furnished than other drop camps I've been on, but Tel had a reason for this. He said he had experiences where equipment went missing or was destroyed by hunters and had left the camp that followed in a bind. So we had to pack in cookware, cots, axes, etc but Tel was upfront with that and had space on the horses for it, so it really wasn't a big deal. Tel checked on us multiple times throughout the trip, and also packed in some first aid equipment and some beer for the other camp when supplies got low. There is very limited cell service in the area but it made it possible to reach out to Tel and he was always responsive. Also, they'll pack out an elk for you wherever you shoot it. I've had other outfitters make you pack the elk back to camp, but Tel and his crew just wants you to hang it where you shoot it and they'll go get it for you.

Can't say a bad thing about the operation. I'd definitely book with them again and we plan to!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back