Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colo Point Banking

jimss

I'm not sure if you are aware but the point banking issue has returned in Colorado. I was unaware of this until late in the 5 year plan process. If you enjoy hunting Colo on a regular basis you may want to get involved! This could dramatically make it tougher to draw tags in Colo in the coming years....especially tags that take only a few pref pts to draw. If you think point creep is bad now wait until this is re-introduced!

I found out that the CBA is supporting this issue without any input or explanation to it's members. If you have a chance to contact the CBA and the CPW in regard to this issue please do so! There are some interesting posts on the Monstermuley website in the Colo forum. The number of years it takes to draw tags in Colo may have just taken a giant leap in the wrong direction...without you even knowing about it!

Really? I thought they already tried that and if failed to accomplish the supposed goal of reducing point creep.

I thought it was a dumb idea then, and I think it would be a dumb idea now. Anyone who dives into the Colorado point system today, with 25 years to look at how it is working, best not complain about point creep. You know that going in.

I have 17 elk points. I am pretty sure I won't draw this year. With point banking reinstated, I guess would look at some lower point hunts that are probably just as good as some I could get with 17 points. And, I would probably be able to hunt twice on those units, if point banking comes back. Seems me getting to hunt one of those areas twice only serves to increase point creep, rather than help it.

Makes a guy wonder where some of these ideas come from.

Really? I thought they already tried that and if failed to accomplish the supposed goal of reducing point creep.

I thought it was a dumb idea then, and I think it would be a dumb idea now. Anyone who dives into the Colorado point system today, with 25 years to look at how it is working, best not complain about point creep. You know that going in.

I have 17 elk points. I am pretty sure I won't draw this year. With point banking reinstated, I guess would look at some lower point hunts that are probably just as good as some I could get with 17 points. And, I would probably be able to hunt twice on those units, if point banking comes back. Seems me getting to hunt one of those areas twice only serves to increase point creep, rather than help it.

Makes a guy wonder where some of these ideas come from.
By residents with lots of points who are getting long in the tooth and would rather hunt a 'good' unit twice instead of a 'great' unit once.

Here's a couple things that may interest you. First here's the CPW website link with the proportion of tags at the different pref pt categories. You might notice that 60 to 75% of deer and elk applicants have 0 to 2 pref pts. There currently are great deer and elk units in Colo that take 0 to 10 pref pts to draw. These units would go from "point creeping" to "point leaping" if point banking is enacted! http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/5YearSeasonStructure/PostDraw05_13PrefPtsbyRes.pdf

You might think that you'll be able to draw several tags with point banking....but after you've drawn 2 tags forget about hunting Colo for a lot longer time. Also, there are fantastic big game units in Colo that only take 0 to 10 pref pts to draw. This may look good in the short run for the few hunters that have a lot of pref pts saved up but in the long run it would make all units even that much tougher to draw.

I copied this post directly from the Monstermuley website under the Colorado forums:

Point creep will by the CPW's own projections increase low to mid tier units by 2-3 points.

So current 0 point units will jump up to 1-3
current 1 point units 3-4
current 2 point units 4-5
current 3 point units 5-6
Current 4 point units 6-8

So on and so on and this is the CPW's projections! That is for deer there are so many elk points out there that the above #'s will jump by 1-2 points or more.

Also I talk with a lot of folks and for you that dont think point banking is coming back think again. Both the outfitters association and CBA are pushing hard for it. This tried and failed idea is getting the push it needs to come back....

Let the CPW know how you feel or if you dont have a ton of points get ready to either buy a LO voucher or give up hunting your 0 point unit every year as soon that unit will take 2-3 points to draw. If you dont have points and point banking comes back it will be 5 years until you draw a current 1-2 pt unit...

Again this is the CPW's plan and their goal is that it will take more points to draw. It is ignorant to think that point banking will not slam the everyday hunter who hunts and does not build points. In reality it will as there are a ton of points holders out there with 8-12 points that will never draw 44 4th and are looking to jump off the point ship.

By residents with lots of points who are getting long in the tooth and would rather hunt a 'good' unit twice instead of a 'great' unit once.

I think it's more from non-residents who were not able to do the math when they started collecting points to see that they would never be able to draw one of the handful of "premium" hunts. The non-resident PP pool is huge.

Here's a couple things that may interest you. First here's the CPW website link with the proportion of tags at the different pref pt categories. You might notice that 60 to 75% of deer and elk applicants have 0 to 2 pref pts. There currently are great deer and elk units in Colo that take 0 to 10 pref pts to draw. These units would go from "point creeping" to "point leaping" if point banking is enacted! http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/5YearSeasonStructure/PostDraw05_13PrefPtsbyRes.pdf

You might think that you'll be able to draw several tags with point banking....but after you've drawn 2 tags forget about hunting Colo for a lot longer time. Also, there are fantastic big game units in Colo that only take 0 to 10 pref pts to draw. This may look good in the short run for the few hunters that have a lot of pref pts saved up but in the long run it would make all units even that much tougher to draw.

I copied this post directly from the Monstermuley website under the Colorado forums:

Point creep will by the CPW's own projections increase low to mid tier units by 2-3 points.

So current 0 point units will jump up to 1-3
current 1 point units 3-4
current 2 point units 4-5
current 3 point units 5-6
Current 4 point units 6-8

So on and so on and this is the CPW's projections! That is for deer there are so many elk points out there that the above #'s will jump by 1-2 points or more.

Also I talk with a lot of folks and for you that dont think point banking is coming back think again. Both the outfitters association and CBA are pushing hard for it. This tried and failed idea is getting the push it needs to come back....

Let the CPW know how you feel or if you dont have a ton of points get ready to either buy a LO voucher or give up hunting your 0 point unit every year as soon that unit will take 2-3 points to draw. If you dont have points and point banking comes back it will be 5 years until you draw a current 1-2 pt unit...

Again this is the CPW's plan and their goal is that it will take more points to draw. It is ignorant to think that point banking will not slam the everyday hunter who hunts and does not build points. In reality it will as there are a ton of points holders out there with 8-12 points that will never draw 44 4th and are looking to jump off the point ship.

That link only shows the current system. Do you have any documentation showing the change you are talking about?

The CBA sent out a survey a while back and point banking was one of the questions. Get your facts straight. There was input by CBA members.

Zach...the MAJORITY of CBA members surveyed voted in favor of bringing back point banking. I was one who voted in favor of it. Jims has his panties in a wad because the CBA didn't go along with his point of view, even to the point of lying about the supposed lack of CBA member input. I think he got thoroughly schooled on bowsite when he went there whining with the same thread.

Did CBA post the results of the survey? Unfortunately there is nothing on the CBA website as far as articles go.

Seems I've heard of the CBA board going against the membership in other matters.

If anything, I think point banking will reduce the point creep of the more 'premium' units. With guys like Randy with 17 points, they could find a unit that only takes, say 10 points and hunt it. If they like the unit, they could hunt it again in a couple of years. This way they can hunt twice in a unit they like instead of waiting 20 years for a unit that might keep creeping every year and end up unattainable in the long run. I foresee a lot of guys with higher points doing that, therefore reducing the creep on the units that have been taking 18 and 20 points, so it would reduce the strain on the PP pool for those units. It might increase the demand on the lower point units, but I think it would all even out in a couple of years. It would also benefit the CPW with more first choice units drawn and less refunds they have to give out with guys that only put in for 1 choice in the draw.

Last edited:
I know this thread is about point banking but in reference to the ever increasing creep for the handful of perceived "quality" Elk units. What is the down side of turning more units limited and managing for older age class bulls to ease point creep? I'm guessing the loss of OTC revenue is the big one but what else?

I know this thread is about point banking but in reference to the ever increasing creep for the handful of perceived "quality" Elk units. What is the down side of turning more units limited and managing for older age class bulls to ease point creep? I'm guessing the loss of OTC revenue is the big one but what else?

The biggest lose would be the lose of OTC opportunity. The best part of Colorado hunting is all of the opportunity. If they close down OTC units it will shift pressure to the remaining OTC units, which will lead to over hunting and probably the shutting down of some of those units, to help the herd. One reason, I moved to Colorado from Utah was that I was sick of collecting points, just for the opportunity to hunt elk. IMHO, any solutions to point creep, should not come at the expense of OTC opportunity.

Last edited:
If anything, I think point banking will reduce the point creep of the more 'premium' units. With guys like Randy with 17 points, they could find a unit that only takes, say 10 points and hunt it. If they like the unit, they could hunt it again in a couple of years. This way they can hunt twice in a unit they like instead of waiting 20 years for a unit that might keep creeping every year and end up unattainable in the long run. I foresee a lot of guys with higher points doing that, therefore reducing the creep on the units that have been taking 18 and 20 points, so it would reduce the strain on the PP pool for those units. It might increase the demand on the lower point units, but I think it would all even out in a couple of years. It would also benefit the CPW with more first choice units drawn and less refunds they have to give out with guys that only put in for 1 choice in the draw.

I would most likely be a victim of the point banking system as the unit I hunt requires 0 pts for a resident.

I'm personally against it. Do the math and figure out where to go. It's not my fault some guys want to hunt trophy units.

Back