Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Channeling my inner Big Fin

Hmm. I'll just say the analogies used are lost on me. I was hoping for some citations and examples of significant contributions to landscape conservation by these companies you said were "shouting from the hilltops" and that by seeing such examples my biases that are based on personal experience and involvement would be lowered.

No need to explain further. I want to stay on the topic of the original poster getting involved in advocacy for the public lands. That advocacy is exactly what will make the difference in the long run.

Hmm. I'll just say the analogies used are lost on me. I was hoping for some citations and examples of significant contributions to landscape conservation by these companies you said were "shouting from the hilltops" and that by seeing such examples my biases that are based on personal experience and involvement would be lowered.

No need to explain further. I want to stay on the topic of the original poster getting involved in advocacy for the public lands. That advocacy is exactly what will make the difference in the long run.

http://www.rei.com/stewardship/report/community/rei-foundation.html

http://www.llbean.com/customerService/aboutLLBean/corporate_citizenship.html

I'm sure I could keep going, for a long, long time, but there's a start.

Thank you. That is what I was hoping for, not a long partisan dissertation.

Another: https://danielsethics.mgt.unm.edu/pdf/patagonia.pdf

I'm sorry, but it took a few nano-seconds of Google Fu to come up with what I know to be a tiny portion of what's out there. There are many more, even more direct contributions to our specific issue under discussion, but I have, in the past, traveled in these circles. So I guess I ASSumed (my fault) that everyone else was equally aware of just how involved the "left", and "left leaning" outdoor businesses are, financially and directly and politically, when it comes to environmental stewardship, environmental justice and such. Again, I think if you are not "left" or "left leaning" then there may be a propensity to discount all that loud screaming that goes on over there. People live in bubbles and echo chambers and can't hear what "the other side" is and has been saying forever.

I strongly suspect many on the "left" do not always hear what us hunters have to say about how much we contribute to their wildlife viewing pleasure and their touchy-feely, bunny-hugging activities, but I ride both sides of the fence and sometimes lose track of how little each side knows about the other. Granted, they each have their own unique ways of going about things, but they are both out there, in the fight.

Having made this faulty assumption (that you knew of the extensive involvement of these companies in environmental stewardship), I merely sought to defend what might also be their reticence, from a political party perspective, to give more than they already do. It was combined with my caveat that I don't speak for them. ;) I think they have far more passion, energy and less cynicism than I. To the extent corporations are people, they are better people than I am. Personally, I expect my government to do this. That is what I pay it for. Like taking care of wounded warriors, it should be taking care of my land. And, your initial question related to your efforts to get them involved in taxation and political issues, not private donation/participation on the ground. Hence the partisan nature of my response.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back