Cats Aren't Trophies

They are going after all their favorites while Griswold is in power. They get this, a total ban on hunting will be next. Good luck Colorado.

remember the wolf vote was much to nearly everyone’s surprise razor thin. This stuff can be properly fought with well targeted and intelligent discourse
Agreed. I think it starts with those of us that live here and hunt educating our families and friends first. For example, my wife was unaware that license availability varied by area in accordance with management objectives. Once I explained that she understood why using hunters was advantageous. The more we do that and educate those that are naive to the issue, the better off we’ll be.

But it does have to be targeted and respectful. If we start calling names and shit, we’re toast

(b) “TROPHY HUNTING” MEANS INTENTIONALLY: (I) KILLING, WOUNDING, OR ENTRAPPING A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX; OR (II) DISCHARGING OR RELEASING ANY DEADLY WEAPON, AS DEFINED IN SECTION 18-1- 901(3)(e) AT A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX.

So, this bill defines all hunting as trophy hunting. Hell no.

(b) “TROPHY HUNTING” MEANS INTENTIONALLY: (I) KILLING, WOUNDING, OR ENTRAPPING A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX; OR (II) DISCHARGING OR RELEASING ANY DEADLY WEAPON, AS DEFINED IN SECTION 18-1- 901(3)(e) AT A MOUNTAIN LION, BOBCAT, OR LYNX.

What a bunch of c-unts.

Dave Ruane had a one-year membership with BHA in 2018. He is not affiliated with or authorized to speak on behalf of BHA. Denver Post posted the following:
Updated Sept. 26, 2023 at 3:57 p.m. Due to the writer's error, this column originally said Dave Ruane was a member of the Colorado Backcountry Hunters & Anglers and the Colorado Bowhunters Association, however, both memberships had lapsed at the time of publication. Neither organization has endorsed this ballot measure effort.
Initiative 91 is scheduled for review and public comment on October 6, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.
BHA is working on a Call-To-Action which I will share here when it is available.

Self defense is trophy hunting too then. Awesome. Hope CO can defeat this nonsense cause thats a hell of a loaded gun there. Worse than CA if thats even possible. We lost bobcat hunting last year for no reason, just poof gone, not even off a ballot.

Self defense is trophy hunting too then. Awesome. Hope CO can defeat this nonsense cause thats a hell of a loaded gun there. Worse than CA if thats even possible. We lost bobcat hunting last year for no reason, just poof gone, not even off a ballot.

Am I mistaken when in my recollection that in CA you cant even import a mountain lion shot in another state? Maybe that was just how they stirred outrage and ousted a former wildlife dept guy? Either way, seems like they might not be quite there in all regards but pretty terrible.

Am I mistaken when in my recollection that in CA you cant even import a mountain lion shot in another state? Maybe that was just how they stirred outrage and ousted a former wildlife dept guy? Either way, seems like they might not be quite there in all regards but pretty terrible.
By their definition you would not even be able to get a depredation permit. Intentionally killing any of the cats would be deemed trophy hunting, including self defense or depredation? Would have to read the whole bill to see if there are exceptions. All hunting equals trophy hunting? Yea that seems worse.

Yes you are correct, we cannot even import them here yet people do all the time. Same with shooting cats - happens constantly and is never reported. Nothing has changed besides the law.

Running away isn't the answer to most difficult problems. That said, I get it. I have plenty of friends looking to flee WA for the same reasons. But it'll follow you, eventually.
There are so many west siders buying up North Idaho that it's no wonder WA can't elect a centrist administration. All the conservatives are moving here.
Send us your Proud Boys, yearning to breathe free.... Thank you so much...

In a nutshell from the land of nuts... we used to kill on average 221 lions by hunting per year prior to the ban. It generated a little revenue.

Now we kill roughly 100 lions per year with depredation permits because they kill livestock for fun. It costs the tax payers money.

You cant argue with stupid though. You can however try to point out that you arent saving many cats, and more livestock and pets will be killed.

I should note too that our deer herds are the worst they have ever been. We also have an insane amount of coyotes, bears, and lions. Its impossible not to find a ton of their sign everywhere I have hunted. Im amazed there are any deer surviving the amount of predators and habitat loss in this state. CO is going down a horrible path.
I feel for all the Coloradoans. As a veteran of the fight against Prop 117 in California back in the day, I can say with confidence you are about to get prison raped.

When we were fighting Prop 117, we made the case that in the end, all prey species of the lions will end up protected too. Nobody listened, the antis had too much money and free media.

Because Cal Fish and Game did not have the science to support their estimate of 4000 adult cats in California at the time, the media always claimed the cats were virtually extinct in the state. They knew this was a lie, but they sold it anyway.

I still believe that prey protection is coming to California at some point. This will effectively end deer hunting in California.

It was AB 1254, so it was the legislature once again. There's a very slim chance it could come back because the bill placed a 5-year moratorium while they established a management plan. If the department recommends that it's sustainable, we could hunt them again, but surely they would go back to the legislature or potentially to a ballot initiative at that point.

Back