Car broken in to...

rhino5326

Great start to the season boys. My wife's vehicle and mine were broken in to this weekend. Items stolen from me: G19 (see below**), backcountry pack, boots, tent, sleeping bag, gps, rain gear, knife, game bags, flash light, head lamp, and gloves. I am in the military and we are getting ready to go out in the field in a few days. I brought all this equipment home to do a "gear shakeout" and make sure I had all my items. I use a mix of civilian and military gear. The bag I brought obviously had all my hunting stuff in there. Additionally I had some military items in there.

I immediately reported it to police. I guess there was a string of robbery's in the neighborhood. My next door neighbor had body armor stolen out of his vehicle (also in the military). I reported it to my home owners insurance this am and am hoping for a speedy claim. Any body have any experience with having hunting stuff stolen? I am hoping to at least get 50% back on stuff. Do you guys think this is unreasonable?

** I understand that keeping a weapon in the car may seem unconventional to many of you. I was raised to have a weapon damn near everywhere (bedroom, car, kitchen, tv room, etc). It is/ was my property and IS my choice on what to do with it. Now I don't typically keep it in the car overnight but my wife is pregnant and we had a false alarm, after we came back home and I got her back in the house and I had another task to take care of and it slipped my mind.

I had the same thing happen last year over labor day, except it was my garage. I usually wouldn't leave a gun out there, but last minute I realized I didn't need/want it taking up space in my truck for our trip, so I tucked it into a corner since we were leaving and the house was locked up already. You said you called police, I recommend getting them pictures and detailed descriptions of everything. I never had much faith anything would ever be found, but about two weeks later I returned from a hunt, to find a voicemail from a detective. The regional drug task force busted a meth trafficking and prostitution ring at a local skeezy hotel, and found an entire room full of stolen stuff. Turns out some of the lower level dealers were running a burglary ring to subsidize their dope habit. I got a good chunk of my things back. I was shocked. Good luck to you.

I had my truck broken into one time in Albacrackie.8 yrs ago. Motel.
Lost a load of hunting gear, including my calls,clothes,pc,briefcase taken. This was just stuff in front. Camper was unlocked & they didn't even look inside.
Cops did not take prints or do much and only I got some papers from briefcase back. They knew who did it.Local known tweekers.LOL
Had the pistol still in room with me along with last bag. I was checking out,truck cab was locked.
Lucky they did not look under rain gear in backseat,where my 30-30 is kept.

My extended family has had mixed results getting their stuff back even if they catch the criminals. Hope for the best.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back