Caldwell Lead Sled

2nd on the PAST+sandbags for sighting in hard recoil rifles. Sure, some jackass will say u are wearing a bra at the range, but I'm secure enough that doesn't bother me. I tried one of those sled type devices and was surprised how inaccurate I was. Could it have been muzzle jump?? Or maybe just bias??

You boys just need to sack-up! (just kidding). I got rid of the recoil by dumping my 300 win mag and getting a 30/06. Can shoot that with no problem all day

One doesn't need to use the Caldwell Lead Sled only by strapping in the firearm and loading the sled with weight. It, like other rests, makes a nice solid rest for load development and initial site in. As for the sled being counterproductive to good form and good shooting habits, that would be the case if utilizing the thread were the only means by which one practiced shooting. However, that applies to all forms of rests. Develop your load and do initial site in from rests/sleds; but, most of one's practice should come from positions one expects to utilize in the field.

Yesterday, 09:18 PMmtmuley
Don't and won't own one. In my opinion they promote bad shooting form. That recoil has to go somewhere. Not good for the rifle and scope taking it all strapped in a solid rest. What fun is shooting a rifle basically mechanically held solid? mtmuley

I personally have seen 2 different brand new rifles broke at the range with guys using them.

Last edited:
I use a knock off cheaper brand w/o the weight tray for load development and sighting in. I'd estimate about 10% of recoil is mitigated. It's a good solid (and safer IMO) benchrest.

..mileage varies.

I have used one, but like others I prefer to shoot off the shoulder just to have a good feel for the gun. My dad, on the other hand, always uses his to sight his guns in and it doesn't seem to have affected his field accuracy.

I use one for range days. I work for a steel fab shop, so I designed some custom plates to fit perfectly in the tray of the lead sled plus. The plates are stackable so you can adjust the weight.

Capture.jpg

I use a Lead Sled and haven't experienced any damage to rifles or scopes with calibers as large as 375 H&H. I mostly use the lead sled for initial dial in a new scope off a bench, then switch to typical hunting scenarios (without using the Lead Sled).

Some need a lead sled. Put them on a rest and bags and they spray shotgun patterns. Hell, you can get a rest that has a remote trigger accuator if your shooting form really sucks. mtmuley

Recoil does not bother me and my groups are just fine without the lead sled. I use it for consistency and lack of shoulder damage, during load development. I have not figured out a way to put it in my backpack yet!:hump:

I tried one this year, both my dad and I used it to zero new rifles. I used a 10# plate in the weight tray. I don't know how you could possibly break a rifle using a lead sled, unless the rifle already had some sort of weak point or issue. I think it's a great way to get your scope dialed quickly before shifting back to more real-world type shooting or sandbags...

Last edited:
I use one for range days. I work for a steel fab shop, so I designed some custom plates to fit perfectly in the tray of the lead sled plus. The plates are stackable so you can adjust the weight.

View attachment 62216

Beartooth, that is the best looking Lead Sled I've ever seen, that's great. As for a Lead Sled, good tool for load development and scope work, I usually prefer a bipod and rear sandbag. The best thing I've found is a suppressor for range use, practice, hunting, etc., just too bad they're spendy and slow to get.

Beartooth, that is the best looking Lead Sled I've ever seen, that's great. As for a Lead Sled, good tool for load development and scope work, I usually prefer a bipod and rear sandbag. The best thing I've found is a suppressor for range use, practice, hunting, etc., just too bad they're spendy and slow to get.

Nice!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back