Big Fin - Question for you

Some kind of private joke??
I met the woman years ago when she was just getting started as a country singer. It was about 1990 and she was doing a gig at a place called the Eagle House in Eureka, Ca. I was working down there and stopped by to catch the show. One nice lady and a stone fox, if you ask me. I've enjoyed her music ever since, especially some of the stuff she's done from bluegrass and blues roots. Really good stuff!!

Patty Loveless...seriously??? :D

You got a problem with that? She is by far, the best singer in America.

Followed shortly thereafter by Dwight Yoakam, Lyle Lovett, Hank Williams Sr., Lefty Frizell, Jimmy Rodgers, and any other twangy sounding hillbilly. Would have to add George Strait and Alan Jackson to that group, also.

More than glad to take crap about being a Patty Loveless fan. Real music. Just wish I could find a way for her music to be on the show. Probably can't afford that. :eek:

She makes Nashville's current stars sound like croaking bullfrogs, with the exception of Brad Paisley.

Followed shortly thereafter by Dwight Yoakam, Lyle Lovett, Hank Williams Sr., Lefty Frizell, Jimmy Rodgers, and any other twangy sounding hillbilly. Would have to add George Strait and Alan Jackson to that group, also.

More than glad to take crap about being a Patty Loveless fan. Real music. Just wish I could find a way for her music to be on the show. Probably can't afford that. :eek:

She makes Nashville's current stars sound like croaking bullfrogs, with the exception of Brad Paisley.

Attaboy, Big Fin! My respect for you grows and grows!

My gramps would smack you on the back of the head for not including Marty Robbins in that group. I would have to do without Lyle and add Merle and Johnny Paycheck.

Gaaa!!! Long road trips to go hunting with your boy had to be hell for him. ;)

"Way down yonder on the Chattahoochie...."

My gramps would smack you on the back of the head for not including Marty Robbins in that group.

Don't worry...Marty is on the list. Fin and I discussed him when we were hunting together in Wyoming this fall. ;)

Damn...I better not bring my old Metallica and Misfits Tshirts if I ever hunt with you guys...lol

I'm more of a Toby Keith and Trace Adkins fan, personally

Lyle Lovett puts on the best show by far. There's no way you can disagree if you've seen him with his Large Band. I think you've got to throw Robert Keen in there too.

Brad Paisley? I was a big fan until he started writing crap songs the past few years.

Brad Paisley? I was a big fan until he started writing crap songs the past few years.

Agreed...He needs to get back to the "check you for ticks" type songs and do less of the bubble gum songs about the interntet and cell phones.

patty is an amazing singer, im also a big reba fan. jimmy rodgers is actually my great great uncle. the jimmie rodgers museum in meridian,ms (where im from) has a guitar in there that belonged to jimmy that his wife had handed down to my mom. she donated it to the museum years ago. so, i have to agree with fin. all of those older singers are my favorites also. my all time fav though has to be chris ledoux. i was a bull rider for 18 years so i kinda relate to his stuff!

Lyle Lovett puts on the best show by far. There's no way you can disagree if you've seen him with his Large Band. I think you've got to throw Robert Keen in there too

Damn straight dunc8, Robert Earl and Lyle are the laureate storysmiths of Texas Hill Country music...not a piddlin' distinction by far.:cool:;)

Lyle Lovett puts on the best show by far. There's no way you can disagree if you've seen him with his Large Band. I think you've got to throw Robert Keen in there too.

Robert Earl's "The road goes on forever, and the party never ends." Good song...

Can't believe I forgot George Jones and Merle Haggard from that list. My son would never forgive me if he knew I forgot about those two guys.

Have a soft spot for Alison Kraus, before she hooked up with that hippie dude, and for Rhonda Vincent. Not as good as Patty Loveless, but still good stuff.

Sure there is some more twang out there that I am forgetting, but if you hit the CD player in my truck, you are gonna hear lots of traditional country and lots of bluegrass.

I have to agree with you guys about the show Lyle Lovett puts on. Wife and I went to see Lyle and His Large Band two years ago - it was the best performance we have ever seen. When we had another chance to see him last year, we did. And I am now on notice that if he performs within 500 miles of our location, I will be there, "or else." He is an amazing singer and songwriter, and his witty humor makes for a great show.

His newest release has a song that is the theme at my house, "Keep it in your Pantry." If you get a chance, it is worth listening to. A guy is on the road all the time, probably not while producing a TV show, and tells his wife how well her pantry is stocked, and that he will be returning with a healthy appetite, and warning that "if you are not hungry, as you once were before, I know you have betrayed me behind your kitchen door." Friggn' hilarious. Worth the 99 cent itunes download.

I have to agree with the above posts about Brad Pasiely. I have pretty much given up on listening to the newer country because of that guy. Straight up horrible. Same with Trace Atkins. Honky Tonk Bundonk a donk or whatever is probably the worst song out there. Another bad one for sure is Keith Urban. He ain't got shit on Jim Urban ;)

Hank Sr &, Jr, George Jones, Willey Nelson, Lovett, Haggard, George Strait, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels Band, Walon Jennings, its all good stuff.

Not much new music I like out there, but one rock band I do like is Rise Against. Doubt many have heard about them, after all they are all vegans and anti hunting. Go figure hahahahahhahaha

Hey Randy what about Boxcar Willie .He did not write all the songs but who else could sing that good. He was a great performer. I like alot of rock too but theres nothing better than real country .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back