Best Hunting pad

MTlionchaser

What does everyone recommend for a sleeping pad?? Lightweight is a plus but comfy is better. Thanks

I like the Thermarest Z-lite. It's durable, light, compact, and works very well. I like to fold it up during the day and attach it to my day-pack. It sure is nice to have it to sit on the ground on so you don't get wet and cold.

I use a Thermarest Prolite. It's not the warmest, not the lightest, and not the comfiest; but it isn't bad in any of those categories and it sure is reliable.
I put several holes in my Neo Air in a fairly short time.
In cold weather I supplement with a piece of 1/8" foam from Gossamer Gear

I have the thermarest prolite, the thermarest neolite xtherm, and the big agnes Q-core delux.

I haven't taken out the prolite in 5 years... it's super heavy and cumbersome (probably 2-3x the pack size of the others) and doesn't provide very much insulation. It's more of a back up pad and get some use when I'm working on the car.

I take the big agnes for scouting trips/raft trips/hunting with stock; when it's warmer and/or when weight doesn't matter. For any kind of backpack hunting I take the neolite xtherm, it packs down tiny, and has a great R-value, it's just mummy shaped so it's not quite as comfy.

If you're not doing a ton of actual backpack hunting I would get the Wide Long Big agnes Q-Core Deluxe.

In addition to lightweight vs comfy, you have to throw in the noise vector as well. There are some noisy, crinkly ass pads out there. I am a super light sleeper and there is nothing worse than a hunting buddy in your tent or the next one tossing and turning all night on a noisy pad.
I have heard that criticism of the Xtherm. Have you all found that to be the case?

I have heard that criticism of the Xtherm. Have you all found that to be the case?
Meh hasn't been an issue for me... they are a bit crinkly right out of the box, but after you have them out a bit the material is less starchy?? Not sure what adjective to use. I don’t think my xthem is that much louder than my Big Agnes.

Backpack hunting: Thermarest Xtherm long-wide. I take the weight penalty for the extra width. Very comfortable pad for the size/weight. Slight crinkly noise doesn't bother me.
Truck camping (or sleeping in the truck bed): Exped Megamat 10. This thing is super comfortable and inflates easily. R value is ~10. No problem with the winter camping stuff. Read reviews on this one, people liken it to their beds at home. It's pretty damn good.

For me, I just can't use low R value pads during hunting season. I freeze from below. We've gone through 4 Big Agnes Air Core Insulated pads, 3 warranty replacements. They just aren't very durable, and I baby my sleep system. They also aren't suitable for temps below ~35-40F for me. I also have an assortment of older REI and Thermarest pads that are self-inflating. 2.5" is the minimum i can sleep on and be comfortable.

I am a firm believer in being the nicest pad you can, I will sacrifice other comforts and weight but not my pad. I have the rei kingdom I believe. Thick, wide, extra long, and good r value. I sleep like a baby but with precious back injuries like a herniated disk, I don’t mess around with my back/sleep. Even bring an insulated pillow or two.

IMO the xtherm is not as loud as the gen 1 NeoAir’s.

Xtherm wide is what I run now. I’ve used a few others but the Xtherm is awesome. I will certainly take the few extra ounces for a good pad and nights sleep.
I also find it not to loud. The NeoAir sounds like sleeping on a bag of potato chips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back