MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Arizona points

okie archer

Can a person draw a good elk unit in Az with say 8-10 points? I currently have 2 points and was just curious.

Yes, you can. The odds might not be that great, though. It's hard to know with the changes they made this year.

Most elk tags in AZ are "good" compared to other states. Other than the limited opportunity hunts, you should expect to see bulls 300" and better on any hunt. You may not be able to harvest one, but you will be hunting where they live and what more can a hunter ask for?

With the change in the draw method, you should be putting in for 2 hunts on your application and not just the point only choice. I drew a Unit 23 Early Archery tag with only 1 point as a resident, so it can happen.

AZ is a bonus point state, so each point is like having your name in the hat an extra time. But a percentage of tags are allotted to the top point holders in a bonus pass (like a preference point system). Combine that with the non-resident cap, and the end result was that all non-resident tags were going to top point holders. The change is that now half of the non-resident tags are withheld from the bonus pass and available in the random draw. Good for new people to the system, raw deal for guys with a lot of points close to drawing a premium tag.

Even the bad units have MONSTER bulls. I hunt 22 north all the time. Its a tough late rifle hunt but there are some big boys in there. I've been drawn 3 yrs in a row with NO points. Anything can happen here in AZ. It's a total crap shoot. Unless you know someone at AZGFD, then you'll always get a tag. It's one if not the most corrupt govt agencies in the state. I know, I worked there, total good ol boy network. Good luck to you!

Randy,
Thanks for the link. I think it will be very interesting to see how these changes to the AZ draw effect the point creep in certain units. I like that everyone has a chance now, albeit small in every unit, but I think guys like me who thought they were getting close will be pushed back a few more years in the bonus point pass. I'm sitting on 12 points before this years draw.

LWood

I know what you mean. I'm at 10, and don't know what choices to try! We differently got a curve ball this year. I do feel for the max and close to max point guy!

A curve ball is a good way to put it. I was hoping to draw unit 1 or 3a/3c in the next couple of years. I will be watching the draw statistics later in the year, hoping I'm not out of luck with an additional point creep of 1-3 points. That would be a bummer for me, but time will tell how the new changes really hurt the bonus point pass folks who were hoping for a guaranteed draw in a particular year.

Even the bad units have MONSTER bulls. I hunt 22 north all the time. Its a tough late rifle hunt but there are some big boys in there. I've been drawn 3 yrs in a row with NO points. Anything can happen here in AZ. It's a total crap shoot. Unless you know someone at AZGFD, then you'll always get a tag. It's one if not the most corrupt govt agencies in the state. I know, I worked there, total good ol boy network. Good luck to you!

Wow, I know people at the Game and Fish and even worked for the agency for 20 years. I haven't done well drawing elk tags. Any suggestions on who to contact to make sure that I get a tag?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Live2huntelk
Back