Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Arizona Deadline - February 9th

Wow AZSportsman you make me feel guilty for even applying in Arizona. Maybe you should move over here to Maryland and try to knockdown a few of the 36 whitetails we each have as an annual limit.

My last elk tag took me 24 years to get drawn maximum bonus points, second choice draw and I had been putting in for archery, muzzleloader, and rifle in various units just to get drawn. Antelope one archery tag in 35 years of applying. Deer, I have not been drawn for deer in the past 19 years.
Sounds like God hates you... or you've fugged up a lot of apps over the years. Are you related to Schmalts? :D

Sometimes God makes us realize what priorities are and that he is overseeing us. This October I missed opening weekend of the Utah deer hunt because I almost lost my wife to septic shock, 8 days in the hospital that I wish no one ever has to experience. I had to cancel my Texas deer hunt between Christmas and New Years because my Dad began bleeding on Christmas, surgery indicated Cancer thoughout his abdominal cavity. I think God loves me as they are both currently alive.

By the way I have never messed up an application

It was a joke.

Your numbers still make no sense. For example, explain to me how you haven't drawn deer in 19 years when the max BP pool is around 12. Btw, surely you are aware that there are left-over deer tags in some units every year in AZ. :confused:

Let me explain, I have the maximum bonus points for deer, the AZ bonus points system went into effect about 10 years ago (not exactly sure the year?), I had not been drawn for deer years prior to the bonus point system going into effect.
Yes I am aware of left over deer tags after the draw, let me give you an example; unit 36A, my brother and I got left over tags in 2008, with these you do not lose your bonus points. I spent numerous miles and hours scouting overlooking the trash, backpacks, etc... left behind from the illegals crossing into AZ from Mexico. The first morning we were on top of a hill overlooking a valley when below we glassed 7 people dressed in black with black backpacks and assult weapons, drug runners from Mexico we assume. we left and contacted border patrol. We meet them on the highway (border patrol) and gave them exact location and direction they were heading, the border patrol said they were 99% sure they were drug runners. We also counted 17 abandoned vehicles used for smuggling, 5 additional illegals, and jumped another group while traveling in the unit. Law enforcement told us that our camps and possibily our vehicles would not be safe if left unattended.
Our United States Borders are not secure

Okay, I believe you if you've been putting in for the strip the last 19 yrs. But I'd say you have had some terrible luck anyway.

As far as your original post goes, everyone on here understands the long odds for the trophy units. Do you tell people not to play the lotto simply because you have never won? Every year people draw premium AZ tags with few or no pts.

Hope you didn't miss the deadline!

If you are a non-resident and you didn't get your app to AZ by now, you are probably SOL. Deadline is "Received by" Tuesday, the 9th. Hopefully no one here missed the deadline. I would hate to have to say, "We told you so."

Good news is that I looked at my antelope choices, and there were still some NR tags left after the 20% bonus pass, so I still have a very remote statistical chance that my 15 points might help. Remote, but a chance, nonetheless.

Even better news is that my second choice elk had all the NR tags available after the 20% bonus pass. And, if things stay the same as last year, I will be in the 20% bonus pass group for my second choice. First choice doesn't look too good. Only a couple NR tags remained after the 20% bonus pass, and there are a lot of NRs with more points than me who applied for that unit last year.

Good luck to all of you. Hope we find out by late March, as has been the case the last two years.

I think it's going to be a great year to have a big-game tag in AZ. Results are typically posted six weeks after the deadline, give or take a few days.

I think it's going to be a great year to have a big-game tag in AZ. Results are typically posted six weeks after the deadline, give or take a few days.

IMO every year you get a tag is a good year....:).. I have been having a hard time on the draws... hope I get a Bighorn tag before I die:hump::D

"IF" I ever draw a Lope Tag..then I will never put in for it Again:W::W:... after all I have spent more on the Bonus pts. than the tag costs:)

What's your point total going into this draw?

20 pts for lope....I have killed 2 in my life so far... thats 2 draws... 1 in unit 8 [70's] 1 in unit 7east[ 80's]........ every year I think its my turn again..... I have about a 40% chance of getting a lope tag:)

How about you?

My last elk tag took me 24 years to get drawn...Deer, I have not been drawn for deer in the past 19 years...I cannot get drawn in the state for which I was born!

Sounds like you've been putting in with me! :mad: I've been drawn for elk in AZ only 4 times in my life, and one of those was a cow hunt!

I have never hunted out of Arizona--always thought it would be too much of a hassle and never bothered to check it out--but now that I found this site and Eastman's DIY guide, I will hopefully be drawing blood somewhere every year.

I've also been wanting to try bowhunting for several years but didn't have any archer friends, so I chickened out. I finally took the plunge a couple weeks back & am glad I did. I tell all my hunting buddies that I'm "already drawn" for deer as you can get OTC archery tags for some pretty decent areas. They're all starting to sniff around bows themselves.

If I draw an archery elk tag this year I just hope Big Fin & his lousy elk weather stay out of my state. ;)

Back