Anyone Home?

There is nothing special about bears in WY or MT vs MN or WI or anywhere else. Bears be bears. This one shows no sign of being fed, so perhaps it just learned that these big weird boxes are pretty useless. Bottom line, you don't know - and I don't either. Just a bear, nothing more, nothing less.
I agree bears are bears, just qualifying where I have experience with bears. In my experience, just an educated guess, he isn’t demonstrating “good bear” behavior. You’re right, neither of us know.

The original post image is from Fairplay, Colorado. Bear in the picture I believe was euthanized by CPW, not 100% sure. Others are right, a tagged bear is a dead bear if it comes back around. I need to ask my brother in law about that bear next time I see him. That is on his property in Fairplay.

The original post image is from Fairplay, Colorado. Bear in the picture I believe was euthanized by CPW, not 100% sure. Others are right, a tagged bear is a dead bear if it comes back around. I need to ask my brother in law about that bear next time I see him. That is on his property in Fairplay.
Did he get to keep the meat?

Did he get to keep the meat?
Doubt it if he even tried. My brother in law is not into hunting and will not eat wild meat if he knows what it is.

EDIT: Also, a couple years ago he posted a picture of a big bull moose right next to his porch with huge shovels. I don't know how they carry them big massive things without getting headaches.

Last edited:
almost like a "woops, i was just knocking, i don't realize how strong i am" moment

actually pretty mind blowing, it seems like it was just pushing on the door, not like pounding or winding up and running into it

Two ear tags? Does that mean he has two strikes?

I looked into this a couple weeks ago, apparently there are lots of misconceptions out there, I used to think two tags meant two captures as well. Two tags don't mean "two strikes", it just means that the bear has been caught once before. CPW will not relocate a nuisance bear more than once apparently since most of the time it does not work and they come right back, so it's more like "one strike" and the next time a different conversation is had about managing that bear.

"Officers have discretion to deal with bear conflicts as follows:
• If a bear has been captured and handled for any of the above conflict situations a second time, the bear must be destroyed -
commonly referred to as the “two-strike” policy
• To determine if a bear has been involved in a previous incident and trapped the bear will be tracked through the use of ear tags, lip tattoos and/or PIT tags as outlined in Appendix A of
Directive W-2."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back