Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Alaska Black Bear - The plan has started

10 days and a wake up, and I will be on my way to the black bear promised land. Or so I hope. Went out to the OYOA shop and sorted gear tonight. Not sure how I am going to get all of this stuff in one bag.

Lots of sorting decisions.

Hippers, waders, or tall rubber boots?
Coolers - what size and how many (Yeti for sure).
Spotter or just go with binos?
How to get the meat home? Same for hide and skull.
Bring a backup rifle?
Two bags of Dove chocolate per day, or one bag?
Water filtration system, or iodine and drops?
Marine radio, sat phone, or smoke signals?
Jet boil, propane stove, or campfire?

And many more decisions.

So many of these are easy questions when you are driving and camping, but when flying commercial air, then taking a small plane in further, weight is a definite consideration.

Since huge accomodation must be made for the film equipment, it doesn't leave a lot of room for other stuff.

Better shoot a little bear to make sure the plane can take us out of there in one trip. Yup, anything over 4' is gonna be in trouble.

When I go back, I will--
Take hip boots. I had tall rubber boots last year and there were times that I needed to be further out in the ocean to get around a tree. Land above high tide is impassable in most places, full of devil's club and other assorted prickly things.

Have a sat phone. We had the marine radio on the main boat, but there were times we were all at the cabin. We were there late May. My brother rented the cabin again in June and got hit by 80 knot winds while at the cabin. They made it back out to the main boat before it crashed the rocks and all had to spend the night there and numerous times the anchor broke loose again.

As far as the meat, we donated the meat to a young man and his mother. They would make sausage for the winter. The hide and skull was brought back as checked baggage in a fish box.

We sent as much as we could ahead using US Post Office Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. I was getting packages from Dodge City to Craig, Alaska in three days. The secret is Delivery Confirmation at an additional cost of $0.65. We shipped items back the same way.

We took a fair amount of drinking water in gallons with us. We boiled creek water for the coffee and to wash dishes.

Firewood was a problem where we were. We searched for a dead standing tree with a pointed top. If the top of the tree was broken off, the whole tree would be wet clear to the ground. We found one about a mile away. My brother had his big chain saw with him. The tree was four foot in diameter and ninety foot tall. It was quite a job to get the wood back to camp in the skiff and then split it. My brother insisted on a campfire every night.

All I know is that I am ready to go back. I have never had that much fun and I want to do it again.

Pacific Air is flying us in on a Beaver. They are confident they can get us, and all our gear, in one trip, both ways. But they have not seen how big of a bear I plan to shoot.

Otter cost seemed much higher, when they were adamant that they can get us in and out in one trip with a Beaver. .

If they can shut the doors on the Beaver, it will get in the air.....

And, it is not like you have a short runway, as long as you are airborne before you hit Japan....

And, it is not like you have a short runway, as long as you are airborne before you hit Japan....

Nicely put Jose. My aunt owns and operates eagle river outfitters. They run a couple of beavers and cubs. I'm sure they weren't lying when they said they could get everything in/out in one trip. I've seen them comeback stuffed full of gear with a canoe shoved underneath pack full of meat to boot. It took them twice as far to get off the water with the canoe and meat but they managed.

Exactly. You can see how full we had one packed. See the 5th guy in the back? The floats were filled, too. Just about left a deposit in my seat on takeoff, but we got in the air. :)

Goat-42.jpg

How are the bugs this time of year?

I know when I filmed in Alaska years ago it was later in summer and near intolerable in places? If it is an issue I think I'd advise taking a Thermocell. Not for you, but for the camera. Some old film stuff was so buggy up on the lens you couldn't even see what I was shooting:(?

Whats nice about those things is they keep the skeeters away in a radius around you and your gear. Justa thought, not even sure they're bad this time of season (been 12 years since I went).
Instead of extra rifle I'd suggest a nice powerful sidearm (maybe 44mag.). This will serve dual purpose as defense in a tight spot and back-up in case your rifle takes a swim.

Another thing if you do catch fish and eat them, I'd like to at least see some footage of you doing so; dont hide that. Like others have mentioned that makes it 'a true adventure' in most guys book.

....And lastly, if you eat that much chocolate per day...uh..yer gonna need some extra TP.

Moe:cool:

Pacific Air is flying us in on a Beaver. They are confident they can get us, and all our gear, in one trip, both ways. But they have not seen how big of a bear I plan to shoot.

Otter cost seemed much higher, when they were adamant that they can get us in and out in one trip with a Beaver. So, that is what it will be. Gotta go out in late afternoon to catch the high tide of that day and allow them to get us as close to the cabin as possible. I am all in favor of that.

haha,
Thats because Pacific doesn't HAVE an Otter. No wonder they were so adamant. They woulda had to send you to Promech or Doyon.

Beaver will take it all I'm sure. I've seen some INSANE loads in and on those things.

Pacific and Taquan should all be together still, so if Lindy is working in the office, Tell her Hi from Iain.

I have flown in Beavers, Radial Otters and the Turbo Otters. My favorite is the Turbo Otter, that is some flying machine. I just need to be a more frequent flyer.

Gonna be an incredible adventure Fin! And having done the huge amount of planning and prep on your own will make both the adventure and memories that much sweeter I'm sure. Best of luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Is this where all the giant bears come from? or are you a bit North of that?

I know in general coastal bears get bigger, but I remember reading about a 'sweet spot' along the islands where the real monsters come out of.

Is this where all the giant bears come from? or are you a bit North of that?

I know in general coastal bears get bigger, but I remember reading about a 'sweet spot' along the islands where the real monsters come out of.

are you thinking of Vancouver island?

are you thinking of Vancouver island?

The article I read was referring to a stretch of coast, not a specific island. It's possible it was that far south though. I'll have to try to figure out where I was reading about it.

haha,
Thats because Pacific doesn't HAVE an Otter. No wonder they were so adamant. They woulda had to send you to Promech or Doyon.

Beaver will take it all I'm sure. I've seen some INSANE loads in and on those things.

Pacific and Taquan should all be together still, so if Lindy is working in the office, Tell her Hi from Iain.

If you are flying out of ktn Pacific air is one company,devils elbow is much closer to Petersburg and pacific wing operates out of there,they also have a beaver,my guess is it is much cheaper to leave from Petersburg

If you are flying out of ktn Pacific air is one company,devils elbow is much closer to Petersburg and pacific wing operates out of there,they also have a beaver,my guess is it is much cheaper to leave from Petersburg

Good point.

I've been on a diet, hoping I can cut down on the freight....but not having much luck. Guess I'll leave the cameras behind and just hunt/fish with Randy.

Lots of new stuff being tested out on this trip. Hope it works as good as advertised, or I will be a wet, miserable, disappointed bear hunter.

New stuff:

Kimber rifle - 84M .308
Mammut Base Layers
Helly Hansen commercial grade rain gear
Westcomb breathable waterproof outer gear
Yeti coolers - if I can get them on the plane
Platypus gravity flow water filtration system
New Active Hydration water tablets
Otis Professional Rifle Cleaning System
Sony's new POV HD minicam

Whatever new fishing equipment Photofin has been able to beg, abscond, or obtain through extortive acts.

And lots of old stuff that has proven the tests of time and demands of tough conditions.

Hard to believe we are leaving on Sunday. Need to spend more time getting ready and less time researching the minutia.

Five days behind you...be looking for my commercial jet to be flying over you that Friday. Good luck!

Hey Randy, If Troy decides he's too fat and can't take the cameras, I can be available to leave on short notice. :) Troy, I'd even be willing to let you sub for me on my framing job that week in order to gain some exercise to supplement that diet.

Good luck guys! Have a ball!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back