Alaska Black Bear - The plan has started

Bigfin,

How many people does OYOA travel with for something like this?

Im sure you considered it and have your reasons, but why not pile everyone into a CC pickup and toss the gear in the back and drive? From MT its about 24 hours to Prince Rupert. Hop the Ferry to Petersburg/Wrangell...

Would not have to worry about shipping gear. Ferry is usually a cheaper route. Plus the drive can be a lot of fun. I have done it many many times. We used to have a house in Bonners Ferry ID and would make the drive several times a year.

Biggest issue is making the Ferry Schedule work with your own schedule.. and it might be a little late in the game for that.

Im telling you, Hold out for a big one! (or the one you think would look the best on TV) :D

I had thought about that. Actually had thought about driving to Haines, spending time with my family, then taking the Ferry to Pburg.

But, in the show, we have to demonstrate how the average guy could do this. For most people, driving like I had considered, is not an option. So, we have decided to fly, as would be the case with most anyone south or east of WA, ID, or MT.

Probably not a good reason, but when doing the show, we end up doing a lot of things for reasons that probably don't make sense.

Big Fin,

I am getting anxious for you. I just wish it was in the cards for me to be in SE Alaska again this spring. My trip last year was the most fun I have ever had in my life. My brother called today and I told him of your trip and staying at the cabin at Devil's Elbow. He has run Rocky Pass many times going from Point Baker to Kake and on to Juneau. Interesting that tomorrow he and his friend from Kake will fish together, but this time on the Colorado River in Arizona.

Hope you can give some early updates on the adventure.

Hey now. I've been reading up on all of this and I'll have you know that as the cameraman for OYOA I refuse to stay in anything rated less than 4 star class tenting.....now a luxurious cabin such as this in AK, that's 5 star plus ratings, that is if Randy and I can figure out a way to carry all of our crap to it without drowning.

Question for those of you who may have been to Devils Elbow or the general area? Any of you ever fish around there? If so I'd love details. While Randy is excited about bears, I'm stoked about the fishing. Let me know.

There is a variety of rock fish that are so delicious and tender. Here are some being fried for a breakfast feast of fried fish, fried potatoes/onions and eggs. The left overs went on the boat for sandwiches for lunch. It is hard to remember anything better that those two meals.

DSCF7451.jpg

Let me find some more pics.

Photfin - If we catch anything like MR is showing, they are getting knocked on the head. Catch and release is waaaay overrated when it comes to those kind of fish.

Remember what Mrs. Fin says, "If you hook 'em, You cook 'em."

You need some video of a big halibut running after being harpooned with line and marker buoy attached. Reminded me of a big carp pulling my bobber around, only on a larger scale.

Big Fin are you sure you don't need a packer to carry all that gear up above tide line? :)

Looks like you guys are going to be having a blast.

Awesome....thanks M.R. for the pics. I agree with the "lets not be so delicate with our fish" and grill up a few policy. Makes for great tv and quality meals. Especially the rock fish. We could step it up a notch and fly in without ANY food...just rely on fish the whole trip....only I don't think Randy could survive without his Dinty Moore beef stew and Dove chocolates? That and I suck at catching fish.

While I don't think the kings will be around that time of year, never know, we may get lucky catching the end of Steelhead/Rainbows. Any smaller streams, rivers...as in wading size around that are worth checking out? We will do our research when we arrive but a point in the right direction is always helpful. Cheers.

A

The fish are there, although last year the fishing was really slow. We were there May 24-30 last year.

Looks like a stream and fresh water lake right by the cabin, but don't know anything about it.

Thanks M.R. for the photos. I would love to catch, kill, and grill. We could even fly in without any food and just eat what we catch. Two problems with that. I'm not a good fisherman, and Randy can't survive without Dinty Moore beef stew or Dove Chocolates. Bear meat for a week doesn't sound very appetizing either.

Any specific streams, rivers nearby we should focus on? I'm hoping we catch the tail end of steelhead/rainbow spawn. Lots to research.

We could step it up a notch and fly in without ANY food...just rely on fish the whole trip....only I don't think Randy could survive without his Dinty Moore beef stew and Dove chocolates? That and I suck at catching fish.

We lived on our Crab Pot filled with the biggest Dungenesses I have ever seen for 3 days, until we finally ran out of butter to melt...

You can do it.

I'm pretty sure I'd whack the first blackie I saw and spend the rest of the time dicking around on the boat, looks like a blast!

10 days and a wake up, and I will be on my way to the black bear promised land. Or so I hope. Went out to the OYOA shop and sorted gear tonight. Not sure how I am going to get all of this stuff in one bag.

Lots of sorting decisions.

Hippers, waders, or tall rubber boots?
Coolers - what size and how many (Yeti for sure).
Spotter or just go with binos?
How to get the meat home? Same for hide and skull.
Bring a backup rifle?
Two bags of Dove chocolate per day, or one bag?
Water filtration system, or iodine and drops?
Marine radio, sat phone, or smoke signals?
Jet boil, propane stove, or campfire?

And many more decisions.

So many of these are easy questions when you are driving and camping, but when flying commercial air, then taking a small plane in further, weight is a definite consideration.

Since huge accomodation must be made for the film equipment, it doesn't leave a lot of room for other stuff.

Better shoot a little bear to make sure the plane can take us out of there in one trip. Yup, anything over 4' is gonna be in trouble.

Lots of sorting decisions.

Hippers, waders, or tall rubber boots?
Coolers - what size and how many (Yeti for sure).
Spotter or just go with binos?
How to get the meat home? Same for hide and skull.
Bring a backup rifle?
Two bags of Dove chocolate per day, or one bag?
Water filtration system, or iodine and drops?
Marine radio, sat phone, or smoke signals?
Jet boil, propane stove, or campfire?

If you're looking for opinions....
Hip boots
2 large coolers.
binos only
Fish Boxes! and goldstreak.
No backup rifle
1/2 bag of mini snickers for every day
none of the above
marine radio. Ch 16 = USCG
Propane stove & campfire to kick it around at night and enjoy the Beautiful SE AK Spring.

Do you know what plane you are chartering?? Beaver would do it probably. But an Otter would make life absolutely easy. No need to worry about your weight then.

If you're looking for opinions....
Hip boots
2 large coolers.
binos only
Fish Boxes! and goldstreak.
No backup rifle
1/2 bag of mini snickers for every day
none of the above
marine radio. Ch 16 = USCG
Propane stove & campfire to kick it around at night and enjoy the Beautiful SE AK Spring.

Do you know what plane you are chartering?? Beaver would do it probably. But an Otter would make life absolutely easy. No need to worry about your weight then.

I will heed most that advice. Probably load up a little heavier on the Snickers, though.

Pacific Air is flying us in on a Beaver. They are confident they can get us, and all our gear, in one trip, both ways. But they have not seen how big of a bear I plan to shoot.

Otter cost seemed much higher, when they were adamant that they can get us in and out in one trip with a Beaver. So, that is what it will be. Gotta go out in late afternoon to catch the high tide of that day and allow them to get us as close to the cabin as possible. I am all in favor of that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back