7mm Rem mag bullet suggestions?

I picked up some Berger 168gr vld hunting bullets (.284) that I haven't had a chance to load yet. I shot a whitetail with a HSM trophy gold (168gr berger .308) this fall. That was the first time I saw a deer go down in it's tracks and not even twitch. After that I'm a believer. Seems folks either love or hate the Bergers so we'll see.

The 162gr Hornady GMX's shoot great outta my rifle but I've not killed anything with them yet.

160 Accubonds are amazing! Great results on several elk for me. H1000 and IMR7828 are good places to start.

When I hunted mule deer and antelope in Montana I had great success with 150 gr Nosler Partition in my 7mm Rem Mag. Flat shooter and very accurate. You have to work up a load that shoots from your gun.

I picked up some Berger 168gr vld hunting bullets (.284) that I haven't had a chance to load yet. I shot a whitetail with a HSM trophy gold (168gr berger .308) this fall. That was the first time I saw a deer go down in it's tracks and not even twitch. After that I'm a believer. Seems folks either love or hate the Bergers so we'll see. .

If you go to the berger bullet wesite you will see that their bullets are designed to penetrate
3-4 inches then lose 40-85% of their weight. 3-4 inches is not much when you are shooting at an elk that may be 3 feet thick. They may be ok on a small whitetail deer. I think this will cause a lot of animals to be lost beacuse of lack of penetration. These are not target bullets they are their hunting bullets.
Berger bullets were originally designed as target bullets and are still target bullets no matter what they say on those long range tv shows that got this beger bullet fad started.

If you go to the berger bullet wesite you will see that their bullets are designed to penetrate
3-4 inches then lose 40-85% of their weight. 3-4 inches is not much when you are shooting at an elk that may be 3 feet thick. They may be ok on a small whitetail deer. I think this will cause a lot of animals to be lost beacuse of lack of penetration. These are not target bullets they are their hunting bullets.
Berger bullets were originally designed as target bullets and are still target bullets no matter what they say on those long range tv shows that got this beger bullet fad started.

What it comes down to is this: my next elk season, god willing, I'll see how they do. ;)

I read this thread with interest, real world killing with these bullets.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3054150/1

I've had really good experience with the 160 grain Barnes TSX bullets.

Over the last few years I've recovered 4-5 of them all with 100% weight retention. Everything from antelope to pigs to deer, elk and bear.

I bought a sample pack of the barnes 140 gr tsx that I will try out first, and go up in weight from there. thanks for the input guys.

I used to be a Berger skeptic myself. After using them in a couple different cartridges I'll say this...... I was extremely disappointed with them in a .300 RUM. The 95 grain in .243 is a wicked deer and antelope killer. mtmuley

I have been using the Barnes 145 LRX last couple years. Accurate, performed well on pronghorn and whitetail.

A lot of good bullets to choose from out there these days.

I bought a sample pack of the barnes 140 gr tsx that I will try out first, and go up in weight from there. thanks for the input guys.

Just curious to know if you have loaded and shot any of these yet.

After poor performance of other "premium" bullets, I recently purchased 150 gr TTSX for my 7mm. I have not loaded them as of yet because I recently moved and I do not have my bench set up. Coming soon!

I am also interested in your load work ups and results, if you care to share. I have no concerns about killing ability.

Sierra Game King 160 gr HPBT. I've had great results with this bullet. Puts them down.. quick.

All mention are good choice,but I have taken two bull moose,7 caribou and a hundred deer with the plain old Hornady Inter Lok. Not expensive and shoot great.

I had awesome results with sierra gameking 160 SBT, and 175 SBT,high b.c. for flat shooting awesome expansion and terminal performance

BR-549, I finally got around to loading the barnes up earlier this month. They grouped fairly well, 1.25 inch group at 100 yards. I used them on a white tail doe during a damage hunt, and they did the job. I backed them with 65 grains of imr4895 and cci 200 primers. I am going to play with the load a bit to find what works best, but so far I am happy with the results.

168 grn Berger. Elk killing machines period. On another note I shoot the 210 out of my 300 win. Killed deer from 80 yards to complete pass through on an elk at 675(lung shot, broke ribs on exit side). Debating bullets, bows, calibers and broadheads is all opinions and personal preference find one that shoots the best and run with it

Berger 168 grn vld. Only shot 1 elk with them. When they expand they're kinda like a grenade going off.
Blow the heck out of the meat if you hit them wrong. Had one outfitter who uses them tell me they try for a head shot if distance and accuracy of the shooter will lend it self to that. Otherwise they go for a slightly back 'gut shot' which freezes them in their tracks. But they sure have their share of detractors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back