Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

7mm-08 Fans

I gave 4166 a shot but am sticking with the superformance and 140 TTSX in the 7-08.

Did have cloverleafs and speed with the Enduron 4166 in a 22-250 project with the SIL..what a kickazz little caliber.

Back on the bench on Thurs. Perfect weather. 80's, 3 mph wind coming straight down range, cloudless.

I ran my 2nd round test. Three groups of two shots. I feel that this is much closer to actual field circumstances. Anyway.....

The Varget held up to last weeks test and stayed inside 3/4" for all 3 groups. QL puts that 42.5 gr charge at 2780 fps. I keep this one on the 'Do-Able 'fer-shur' list.

Now, the RL-19. Niiiccceeee ! A little on the hot side, but it really threw down the challenge to the Varget! Edged out Varget by only 1/16" for the 3 shot string, but QL'd at 2860 fps.

So, in reality, I'll call it a tie accuracy wise. Time to pull out the chrono and let the best load win.

(Air-Tech recoil pad and Timney trigger are on the way via USPS, so the next range day will probably be a couple weeks coming)

The extraction was fine and the primers look good. It's just listed as a step over max according to Quick Load.

Gunner...how much RL19 were you using?

I've shot 50 grains and didn't see any pressure signs at all, and got over 2900 fps through a chrony.

Buzz, I tried 49.5, 50.0 and 50.5. 49.5 and 50.5 both gave me 11/16" groups. Quick Loads also listed my 43.5 gr of Varget as being over pressure. As I said, I didn't get any obvious external pressure signs and haven't shot over the chrono yet. I was going to wait and see how they shot 1st. My next range session I'll use the screens on them and compare actual vs predicted.

Are you using a 22" barrel ?

Having two good loads is a good place to be in. However, I would take the lower temperature sensitivity of Varget over a 1/16" in group size...

Buzz, I tried 49.5, 50.0 and 50.5. 49.5 and 50.5 both gave me 11/16" groups. Quick Loads also listed my 43.5 gr of Varget as being over pressure. As I said, I didn't get any obvious external pressure signs and haven't shot over the chrono yet. I was going to wait and see how they shot 1st. My next range session I'll use the screens on them and compare actual vs predicted.

Are you using a 22" barrel ?

The 2 7-08's at my house are 23" and 24" barrels. Interestingly enough, the 23" barrel is consistently about 50-60 fps faster with just about every load I've tried.

The same load of varget (43.0) in the 23" barrel is getting 2910fps, the 24" barrel....2850.

I also agree with pointer that the Varget is going to be tough to top as a all-around powder...the slight difference in velocity gain and accuracy with '19 may not be worth the temperature sensitivity.

I'm still going to play around with rl19 this summer...but I also just bought 12lbs of Varget.;)

Both are SS super match grade pacnors...all the same specks twist, throat, contour, crown, etc. only difference is the barrel length.

I thought the same as you...why the difference?

Both are SS super match grade pacnors...all the same specks twist, throat, contour, crown, etc. only difference is the barrel length.

I thought the same as you...why the difference?
Voodoo! :D In reality, 60fps is nothing to worry about. It's only 41mph. My 7 year old can throw any bullet loaded for a 7mm faster than that. That's my new perspective on a few fps... :D

'K . Here's the final results, after chatting on line with the guys from Nosler, and my range stats/on target findings .

The load is going to be 42.5 grs of Varget, with the 140 gr AB. It's a safe pressure load and gives me repeated 3/4" @ 2762fps. Golden !

I just spent some time out in the shed today loading as many cases as I had on hand.

Next step, Wyoming, in 3 weeks.......Stay Tuned for the blow by blow !! 4 tags to fill...................

Last edited:
I use hornady superformance with 139 sst good round for whitetail. Haven't hunted anything else with it yet. I don't reload yet but am going to start soon when I do it will be accubond all the way. I shoot that in everything from 243 to 300 rum love it.

So two more elk fell to the 7mm-08 from my kiddos last weekend. Accubonds did their job well with Varget propelling them in the neighborhood of 2800 fps. 260 yards and 135 yards and no recovered bullets due to full penetration. First big game animal for both of them, my 16 year old daughter and 14 year old son. Potentially one more elk(16 year old son, twin of my daughter) and 3 Muley Bucks (all three kiddos) will fall in the next month for us too.

Freezer is filling up again.

FH

Last edited:
Updates on my Wy Lope/Mulie hunt can be followed on the Antelope section, "2 and a hook" thread.

Back