7mm-08 Fans

Came up with a box of 140 AB's from a local gunstore. Still waiting on some Talley lt wt lows which were delayed (my fault for ordering the 84 instead of the 84M part #). Have 4 boxes of factory to fireform before loading some Superformance & Accubonds. IMR4166 Enduron is the backup plan.

Has anyone tried the 150gn LR Accubonds? They are a little higher on the sectional density, and BC...just curious. I might give them a shot just to satisfy my curiosity.

I thought about them too, but I'm a bit dubious about their performance at closer ranges. Thus my decision to go with the 140 AB. If anyone has used them, let us know !

BC on LR accubonds are not even close to real world..They should be embarrassed being as far off as they are.

Which LRAB's have you tested that came up short, and what are you running them out of? I have been thinking for a while that the BC's may be a bit inflated, but from what I'd heard from others, they had been close within reason. I only ask because I'm really considering running some in the near future as both a hunting load and a steel ringer...

Thanks!!

Has anyone tried the 150gn LR Accubonds? They are a little higher on the sectional density, and BC...just curious. I might give them a shot just to satisfy my curiosity.

I haven't shot them, but I'll bet the 150 LRAB would perform great at 7-08 velocities, even at close range. I think the problem with them is that at high velocities, they don't stay together real well at close range.

I haven't shot them, but I'll bet the 150 LRAB would perform great at 7-08 velocities, even at close range. I think the problem with them is that at high velocities, they don't stay together real well at close range.
I can tell you that the .30 caliber 210 holds together at 80 yards out of a RUM. Don't know about the 150 in a .270. mtmuley

I have been thinking for a while that the BC's may be a bit inflated, but from what I'd heard from others, they had been close within reason.

Thanks!!

Bryan Litz of Berger Bullets did a field test of their B.C. and for the most part were about 90-95% of advertised which puts their real world B.C. pretty close to their Berger equivalents. The 129gr 6.5's were almost spot on with advertised.

Which LRAB's have you tested that came up short, and what are you running them out of? I have been thinking for a while that the BC's may be a bit inflated, but from what I'd heard from others, they had been close within reason. I only ask because I'm really considering running some in the near future as both a hunting load and a steel ringer...

Thanks!!

The 30cal ABLR 210 has an actual field tested G1 BC of .610 they list it at .730 . The .277 150ABLR is listed at .625, real world is ~.530.

I never got the .284's to shoot good enough to test out.

Bryan Litz has tested them, i dont know where you can find his info on it, but going from memory the only LRAB that was in the ballpark of its listed BC was the 6.5 129gr.

Most of the others fell in the "not even close" category.

Most guys arent going to notice it, because most are going to shoot at 5-600 yards max and call them "right on". Its at the much longer ranges that BC discrepancies are noticeable.

So IMO, Nosler can put what ever BC value they want on them, because most will never know the difference.

Last edited:
If I go into my Nikon Spot On app and look through the BC's listed in there...

120gn Ballistic Tip Spitzer = 0.417 BC
140gn AccuBond Spitzer = 0.485 BC
140gn Ballistic Tip Spitzer = 0.485 BC (what I practice with, much cheaper then AB, same BC)
150gn Accubond Long Range Spitzer = 0.309 BC
160gn AccuBond Spitzer = 0.521 BC
168gn Accubond Long Range Spitzer = 0.353 BC
175gn Accubond Long Range Spitzer = 0.364 BC

So based on these numbers...the ABLR BC's are significantly lower...very strange based on the website showing a higher BC. It's almost as if it's using the G7 on those bullets instead of the G1 that it's using on the others. I googled "Accubond Long Range Bullets", and quite a few pages came up of people testing them. I haven't read too many of the reviews yet though.

Last edited:
Rosco

Here's the initial results from the Litz testing. Not sure where you got your numbers from, but here's what Litz tested them at. I will keep looking to see if I can find any more about what some of the newer LRAB's test out at. Looks like most, with proper twists were within about 10%...

Considering that Litz tested the 210 Berger's at .627 G1 and .321 G7 BC's, and the 208 A-maxes at 633 G1 and .324 G7 BC's the 210LRAB is still a really nice option to basically have a bonded berger with a tip... Regardless of how the bullets were marketed, they are still on par with the competition.

208 AMAX listed here with different litz number, page #3. .651

What is the litz measurement on the standard .308 200 Accubond? Advertised is .588

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gIH4Dg&usg=AFQjCNGWAg6VnCFo-AGONPdnspTInQ8ILA

Greenhorn,

I got those numbers directly out of Brian Litz's book "Applied Ballistics for Long-Range Shooting" 2nd edition page 514 for the 208A-max and page 483 for the 210VLD. The book was published in 2011, so I'm not sure if he has re-tested them since then...

According to his book the 200Gr Accubond tested out at .524 G1 and .268 G7, see page 510.

208 AMAX listed here with different litz number, page #3. .651

What is the litz measurement on the standard .308 200 Accubond? Advertised is .588

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gIH4Dg&usg=AFQjCNGWAg6VnCFo-AGONPdnspTInQ8ILA

Litz does still list a .324 G7 BC in both sources, and based on the BC correlations, I would think that would still generate a better drop table than either G1 BC... G1 Correlation is listed in the book as .496 G1 and .966 G7. Correlation of 1.000 would mean that the bullet is a perfect match for the established drop path for the specific G standard bullet. Anyhow... Just a thought...

MK, i'm off on my BC, but still closer than Nosler..

I'm just sayin if they wanted to put a toe into the LR game, they need real world stats..You ever seen Berger,Sierra or Lapua miss a BC by a "mere" 5-10%?

They will get no where with the dedicated shooters, but i guess they've cornered a certain market. hint

How & Where did this get off the 'general purpose hunting bullet for a 7mm/08' topic and into a debate over which mfg publishes the most accurate BC data across all calibers and weights? :confused:

How does the BC of a 210gr 30 cal, 225gr 338, 130 277 cal have anything to do with field performance of a 7mm/08?

If it's not directly related to the original topic question, please take it to another thread.

I finally got to the range again yesterday. This time I was testing the 140 gr BT's with four different powders. I looked for weeks trying to find some RL-19, but came up zero, but I did manage to get my hands on some RL-17 and tried that along with Varget, RL-15, and 4064.

First, make sure I was on target. My long time base load. 150gr BT, 40.5gr RL-15, R-P case, WLR primer, 2.785" COAL.

Second pic is the 140 BT with 42.5gr of Varget COAL 2.795

Last is a 120gr Barnes TSX, 42.5gr RL-15 COAL 2.775

I think with some tweeking either of these loads could be cut in half.

Oh, and after I was done at the range and on my way home, I pulled off to get some gas. Looked off to the left and saw a big sign on the side of a building. "Great Lakes Outdoor Supply" Hmmmmmmm, I'm not in any hurry. Mosey around a little bit to see what's what...... lo & behold..........RL-19 !

Guess I'll just have to make another trip to the range next week.

Attachments

• IMG_20150501_104218.jpg
    IMG_20150501_104218.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_20150501_113324.jpg
    IMG_20150501_113324.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_20150501_122646.jpg
    IMG_20150501_122646.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Great job gunner. I am really intrigued with the 120 gr barnes. Im sure they penetrate but how do they do on thin skined game like antelope? Also how will 120 gr bullets do on something like a big mule deer or whitetail buck? Trying to decide for my own gun. Again, good shootin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back