50 or 45 caliber inline?

std7mag

Looking to get an inline this year.
My question.
Is there any advantage to getting a 50 caliber over a 45 caliber?

With the 50, I will probably end up shooting 45cal sabot anyways.

With the 45, I can easily duplicate a 45-70.

Get the 50. Way more options for it. I was on the fence between 45 and 50 when I first got a muzzleloader. I got a 50 and glad I did. You can develop a heavy load for big critters and a lighter one for the range and deer.

I agree with above I would check all of the states you think you may want to muzzy hunt for regulations. 50 cal is what I use and it gets it done. Kick is dependent on your load of course 😉

Pretty much would stay using it here in PA.
I think projectile needs to be no smaller than 45 caliber. ( Unless your using a pistol, then minimum is 50 caliber :rolleyes:
:oops: o_O)
Meaning I can't use my Walker. Idiots!!!

Pretty much would stay using it here in PA.
I think projectile needs to be no smaller than 45 caliber. ( Unless your using a pistol, then minimum is 50 caliber :rolleyes:
:oops: o_O)
Meaning I can't use my Walker. Idiots!!!
If I lived in PA, I'd shoot a .54 flinter, no doubt about that.
If you are going to shoot bullets, doesn't matter if it's a .50 or .45

.50 cal is minimum for elk in Colorado for elk.
If not interested in chasing elk .45 works well for deer size critters.

The .45 will give you better ballistics if the barrel is 1-20 or better. I have both and prefer my .45. However I have a sizing die and skip the Sabot. Good luck with whichever choice you go with.

Last edited:
Looking to get an inline this year.
My question.
Is there any advantage to getting a 50 caliber over a 45 caliber?

With the 50, I will probably end up shooting 45cal sabot anyways.

With the 45, I can easily duplicate a 45-70.
I have both calibers in custom made flintlocks and hunt with them exclusively in PA. Love both and they get the job done and then some on deer. If I had to chose just one I’d likely go with the .50 for the reasons mentioned earlier—I can dial up a heavier load or back it off.

Mark

I love my current .45 and would never want anything else.... If Colorado Elk were never a consideration. Therefore I'll equip my old T/C Pro Hunter for .50 and Peep sights.

I switched to .45 from .50 a few years ago. Better ballistics using less powder and less recoil in a lighter rifle.

Go with the 50 if you plan on hunting in any states that carry more restrictions and for availability of components. But if you are looking to stretch out your effective range and get a flatter shooting gun then the 45 is your ticket.

I have actually touched an in-line twice. Once when it was given to me, once when I gave it away (oops, four times, it had to go in and out of the car). Traditional is the only way I roll, but I would recommend the 50. It is easy to reduce the load, but topped out the 45 will not match the 50.

David
NM

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back