Caribou Gear

Black powder substitutes?

std7mag

I just picked up my new 45 caliber inline yesterday.

Growing up I have always used Goes black powder.
Alas, now finding actual black powder to buy just isn't going to happen.
Aside from making my own.

So looking at substitutes, which is a better choice?
I really didn't care for Pyrodex. Corrosive.

Black powder can be found at Buffalo arms or Powder Inc. They have it on a regular basis but you have to order it online and pay a hazmat fee. If you can split a case with a few others it cuts your costs.

graf&sons is where we get it every year, caps are a little harder to find but I've stocked up when I find them

BH209 here and never looking back. Had to get a special breech for my CVA after not heeding that wisdom upfront and blowing it on a big buck. Otherwise, it's been flawless.

Over the years I have used Pyrodex, 777, and BH 209. BH 209 is by far the best! And yes, use 209 magnum primers, in my case CCI. Never any issue with this combo. out of my T/C Omega .50 stainless/laminate.

Here in Pa I go to Dixons in Kutztown. It' a small muzzleloading shop which usually stocks not only Goex, but Swiss, and sometimes Elephant powders in all granulations.
They have a website, that may answer any questions.

As for blackpowder substitutes, 777 is decent.

Here in Pa I go to Dixons in Kutztown. It' a small muzzleloading shop which usually stocks not only Goex, but Swiss, and sometimes Elephant powders in all granulations.
They have a website, that may answer any questions.

As for blackpowder substitutes, 777 is decent.
Thanks for that!!

A day trip to Kutztown is an easy, enjoyable thing to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back