Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

411 Montana elk hunt

Hobbitfeet173

Hey all,
Drew the archery tag for unit 411 Montana this year and am planning on spending quite a bit of time in the snowies. Wondering if anyone has any insight on the elk population/distribution in the area or any info about the terrain I should be looking at? Not looking for anyone's spot but just a general idea of what to expect from this range. I plan on making it out there to scout a week before the season opens to figure it out a bit. Thanks!

Haha Not all the time but I have been known to drop the boots when the situation presents itself!

Tough, steep country with some pretty thick timber that usually has a decent amount of blowdown. Catching the elk on public in the Snowy's is easier said than done. Good luck!

One thing 411 is mostly Private! I'd make a call to the area biologist in Lewistown Sonya, I don't recall her last name. Good hunting

I thought that two, I had that tag four years ago and I ended up hunting in another district after calling the FWP.

You can get into 411 from the Red Hill Road WMA south of Lewistown. It is an easement that RMEF helped FWP get into there. I never got too far into the area. There is also trail access farther south. Another possibility would be to enter through 511 by going up Swimming Woman Creek road. The only fresh elk sign I saw in there on my hunt last year was right on the boundary of 411/511. I will be in there sometime in September to try again. I am hoping to get up there this week to look around. Unfortunately I didn't draw a permit so it is antlerless or Spikes for me in 511 and antlerless only to the north.

One thing 411 is mostly Private! I'd make a call to the area biologist in Lewistown Sonya, I don't recall her last name. Good hunting

Good luck getting ahold of her, I leave message after message for her and never get a call back

If I had a 900-20 tag I would not be hunting in 411 or 511

I hunted it last year w the 900-20 tag. I elected to access off Red Hill rd, being non resident I never stepped foot in 411 until I arrived Sunday of opening weekend. Only saw 3 rigs pulled off in the whole area, the RMEF trail access point had zero rigs, red flags went up but I also thought,,, this is great, no pressure! Saw some sign, but nothing great, didn't get real deep as I was solo, it is thick, and elk are on private a lot. After 2 days I came out and ran into a local, he said yes it's tough archery hunting in there, a lot of locals don't even do it.... Just repeating what I was told.
The next day I went around south and went up swimming woman, spent 3 days in there, didn't cross one elk track any fresher than a week old. Ran into a guy who said on the opener 12 rigs were in there. He did say over the pass there were a couple small bulls hanging out, but solo and steep at 5mi in to get to them I elected to head to a general unit to finish my hunt the next 2 wks with much much more elk action. Do your homework and scout it if you can. That's what I know about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back