Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

28 Nosler off season build (will this cartridge kill an elk)?

Most the places I hunt and style of elk hunting I do, that rifle at nearly 14 lbs is not real practical.

I bet it's a shooter though.

175 Ablr bullets shot as expected, nothing exciting on that front, 2-3 in the same hole then 1 or two off 1-2”. For whatever reason I’ve never got that bullet to shoot in this cartridge. Just left over components to break it on so no loss there.

This is the starting point for tomorrow.

195 eol .020 jump rl-33

Those 6 are

Left 3
81.8 2942
82. 2949
82.2. 2948

Right 3
82.6 2989
82.8 2993
83. 3003

IMG_1689.jpeg

Most the places I hunt and style of elk hunting I do, that rifle at nearly 14 lbs is not real practical.

I bet it's a shooter though.

probably gonna put it in a ag composite alpine hunter (different scope/rings) after its got 3-400 rds down the tube and it will be a safe queen at a touch over 10lbs.

Last edited:
probably gonna put it in a ag composite alpine hunter (different scope/rings) after its got 3-400 rds down the tube and it will be a safe queen at a touch over 10lbs.
Ha…I have a 30 Nosler that I thought id get dialed in and have fun with for a couple hundred rounds and then layoff. Ive shot at two game animals with it, both a couple years ago, that were dead at the first shot, yet I find myself with a burned out barrel. Turns out hitting steel way out there with big bullets is addictive, expensive, a lot of fun, and hard on barrels. If she shoots as sweet as she looks you’ll burn that barrel out in no time.

I have both a .28 and .30 Nosler. Both in lightweight hunting guns.

if your hunting, dont use ABLR, you mor the elk will like it.. I shoot regualr AB in my .28 and Barnes LRX in my .30.

IMO, these are two of the greatest elk killing machines on the planet. MTMULEY will tell you a 300RUM ( it kills too, just not a sexy)

Less than favorable conditions out there, 10-20 wind in the face @23 degrees. Gonna load up 20 of these and shoot em over the chrono and suppressed and see what that looks like. Was hoping to get this thing on a 2100 target today but currently can’t see much past 800.
IMG_1693.jpeg

Getting closer, 150ish rds down the tube, looks like I’m gonna end up in the 3100 range. Shot 5 of these @ 24 degrees couple day ago and 4 today at 48 degrees. Both were under 1 moa. Vel change of +6, 10 rd SD of 9 so far. Made it all the way to 3150 without pressure in the ADG brass. Not really interested in pushing it further to conserve barrel life.

Attachments

• IMG_1800.jpeg
    IMG_1800.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
Took it out yesterday after Easter festivities. I loaded up a few with the plan to Chrono 5 of my final load to check the sd, then shoot the rest on steel. It was late so I wasn’t gonna have a lot of time.The wind was 10-15 coming at 30 degrees. Opened up on the 8” at 560, 3 impacts center vertically 2-3” left of center horizontally, same spot on the target. That gave me a good idea for wind hold on the 1000. First rd knicked the left shoulder, I could tell by how the target reacted, corrected a tenth and put 3 on the center of target.
IMG_1821.jpeg

No point in taking out the chrono as my elevation was consistent, with a few rds left and went straight to the 2090 yard target. The wind was flattening out there in the evening, opened up with a 1 mil hold for wind and damn it was close. Hard to say for sure because I don’t know how far the dirt is behind the target, just under I’m pretty sure based on the video, dust came up from directly behind the target. Next two were just off the right edge elevation was good. Back at it this week. Load seems to be good. IMG_1819.png

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back