Caribou Gear Tarp

26 year wait - Utah elk hunt

WOW! Great write up greenhorn. I hadn’t been on this site in a while (and when I have it was sparingly) and just read all 21 pages of that! Obviously, a huge congratulations are in order to not only kill that bull but to hunt the way you did. I’m a huge fan of yours, albeit a new one.

Also, for honorable mention, I’ve always thought I was tough on the Utah hunting crowd but I have nothing on you boys. I live in Wyoming and 90 miles from the Utah state line so I have enough of it on a regular basis. I laughed out loud multiple times and even had to read my wife a few of the comments. Gives me faith in humanity once again.

good things happen to good people. Awesome bull and experience. Happy for you! Thanks for taking us along.

B54339A3-BEF1-4AEC-8D06-F6B444AB2236.jpeg
Such an awesome thread about Kurt’s hunt! I’m not super active here on Hunttalk, but I was the one other non resident that drew the random tag on the unit. I had an Alaska moose hunt scheduled for this September, so on my application this spring I decided to apply for the Beaver because I thought there was no way I’d ever draw (with only 4 points), wrong!

I had seen Kurt posted that he drew on another forum so I looked up his name on Facebook and we started messaging back in forth. He sent me a pile of photos & video (including the 395 drop tine & 400+ bull) after his scouting trip and I knew both of us were in for quite the experience. We luckily got to meet up and have lunch at Beaver Taco before the hunt. If you’ve never met Kurt he’s an awesome guy, I could have listened to his hunting stories for hours.

I’ll echo everything he described about the mountain, the place isn’t reality when it comes to elk hunting. So many great bulls, it took me probably 8-9 days on the mountain to finally see a total of more cows than I had bulls, most of which being 340+. Like Kurt mentioned, this is only the second bull tag I’ve had in my pocket (first was also a random archery tag I drew in AZ), so I’ll definitely agree with him that I’m officially ruined when it comes to elk hunting, it’s all down hill for me from here. The morning I killed my bull, he was the 10th bull we either encountered or called in, the whole canyon was going crazy. We were calling him and another shooter in at the same time, he was just the one who won the race to my shooting lane. We gave him an hour but he had only made it about 80 yards and piled up. We luckily didn’t need the horses, but going out the top above 11,000 ft was definitely a workout for a flat lander from Minnesota

Kurt was one of the first people I sent a picture to when I had service. I dropped him an OnX pin of where I had killed my bull because I knew he had shot his bull in that same main drainage. Turns out he had killed his bull just around the corner above the next creek. Even cooler was after I sent him some more photos he told me he had watched my bull fight and loose to a 400 class bull just down and to the right of my picture about a week before.

A hunt and a place I’ll never forget. Super fortunate it allowed me to get in contact and meet Kurt, hopefully it’s not the last time our paths cross!

Last edited:
View attachment 294557
Such an awesome thread about Kurt’s hunt! I’m not super active here on Hunttalk, but I was the one other non resident that drew the random tag on the unit. I had an Alaska moose hunt scheduled for this September, so on my application this spring I decided to apply for the Beaver because I thought there was no way I’d ever draw (with only 4 points), wrong!

I had seen Kurt posted that he drew on another forum so I looked up his name on Facebook and we started messaging back in forth. He sent me a pile of photos & video (including the 395 drop tine & 400+ bull) after his scouting trip and I knew both of us were in for quite the experience. We luckily got to meet up and have lunch at Beaver Taco before the hunt. If you’ve never met Kurt he’s an awesome guy, I could have listened to his hunting stories for hours.

I’ll echo everything he described about the mountain, the place isn’t reality when it comes to elk hunting. So many great bulls, it took me probably 8-9 days on the mountain to finally see a total of more cows than I had bulls, most of which being 340+. Like Kurt mentioned, this is only the second bull tag I’ve had in my pocket (first was also a random archery tag I drew in AZ), so I’ll definitely agree with him that I’m officially ruined when it comes to elk hunting, it’s all down hill for me from here. The morning I killed my bull, he was the 10th bull we either encountered or called in, the whole canyon was going crazy. We were calling him and another shooter in at the same time, he was just the one who won the race to my shooting lane. We gave him an hour but he had only made it about 80 yards and piled up. We luckily didn’t need the horses, but going out the top above 11,000 ft was definitely a workout for a flat lander from Minnesota

Kurt was one of the first people I sent a picture to when I had service. I dropped him an OnX pin of where I had killed my bull because I knew he had shot his bull in that same main drainage. Turns out he had killed his bull just around the corner above the next creek. Even cooler was after I sent him some more photos he told me he had watched my bull fight and loose to a 400 class bull just down and to the right of my picture about a week before.

A hunt and a place I’ll never forget. Super fortunate it allowed me to get in contact and meet Kurt, hopefully it’s not the last time our paths cross!
Awesome. I know he gets into my country sometimes. Would buy him a Hope Zone any day. Great bull HoytHntr4. mtmuley

View attachment 294557

That pic of your bull is my favorite photo of all the bulls taken so far I’ve seen in that area. Good to meet you and stay in touch!

View attachment 294557

This post is the cherry on top of a great cake.

Congratulations so awesome and gives me hope to draw a tag like that in my lifetime especially with me applying for so many different states. I actually applied for the beaver as well, as a nr congratulations.

I drunk taped him at 368 gross and 361 net. He’s nice and heavy antlered with 30” of mass per side. I was driving home and decided to get a dirty hotel room and finish all my unopened beer. Such a great trip. 🙂
Friend of mine arrowed an extra huge bull this year in MT - also a limited draw hunt. His and mine were officially measured tonight. His wan 412 gross / 399 net as a 6x6 typical. Look that up - one of the biggest archery 6x6 bulls of all time.

Mine is 371-7/8 gross and 367-3/8 net bigger than I expected for drunk- taping it.

Legendary Fred King the official measurer.

Couple pics of Tyler with his amazing bull. Score is likely pending as it will obviously be a panel measured type of animal. Tyler has filled the camera roll for randy newberg on his hunts often. I’m very happy for Tyler! MT can trump the best of Utah..
IMG_6227.jpegIMG_6215.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back