2020 UT Cow Elk Success

My son says my cow call sounds like a wounded calf. He must be right. I was hitting the cow calls intermittently for about an hour, and shortly after a set, a pack of 3 coyotes came in hot! They definitely looked like they meant business. One spotted me at about 75 yards when I was drawing down on them. They all three stopped, and I put a 140 grain .270 Accubond just behind this guy's left shoulder. He was quartering towards me, so the bullet mostly went through the guts. I won't post the picture, but the exit wound on the other side was about the size of a football and took a good portion of innards out with it. It was my first time shooting the new Browning X-bolt besides at the range. The rifle came OOTB with a muzzle break, but given it's a .270, I didn't even think about ear protection. OMG, my left ear rang for about 5 minutes after the shot. It was way louder than my .300WSM. From now on, I'm carrying some ear plugs when hunting with that rifle. I was pretty impressed with the damage done by the Accubond though!

Nice work!
I wear the orange construction kind ear plugs that hang around your neck, that way they are always ready to put in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back