PEAX Equipment

2016 WY elk

Congrats Buzz. I am impressed with how consistently you have success. I appreciated the way you went about contacting the land owner, reporting the sign, and not being a jerk about it. It's easy for us to all make huge assumptions and vilify the landowner. I don't agree at all with what the landowner did, but I would imagine he has had many hunters trespass intententionally or unintentionally over the years. A good reminder for us to handle it how Buzz described it.

Congrats Buzz. I am impressed with how consistently you have success. I appreciated the way you went about contacting the land owner, reporting the sign, and not being a jerk about it. It's easy for us to all make huge assumptions and vilify the landowner. I don't agree at all with what the landowner did, but I would imagine he has had many hunters trespass intententionally or unintentionally over the years. A good reminder for us to handle it how Buzz described it.

I think both my buddy and I went way above and beyond what was required as far as the landowner is concerned. My buddy actually told him exactly where we were going to camp and to stop by and visit with us and we'd buy him a beer, even though he denied us access. His response was that he "doesn't talk to hunters anymore because they accuse me of harassing them"...really? Wonder why he's been accused of that?

I have no doubt that people have trespassed on his property, but when a couple ethical hunters take the time to visit with him, invite him to our camp, give descriptions of our vehicles, etc...one would think that would ease some of the worries of trespass. We were told well in advance by the GF and others that we would likely run into this kind of landowner behavior, and why we attempted to head it off at the pass.

Nope, instead of embracing the fact that there are people that do it right, he doubles down on living up to his reputation of being a complete and total arsehole, and illegally posts a county road.

Its also worth mentioning that there is some off-road violations going on behind the road he has posted...and that is going on either by the landowner or someone who he is allowing vehicle access through his private. Its been reported to the BLM.

Now, since this landowner cant act like an adult, I will be making a run at increasing access into the area he has closed off. My buddy and I have both been in contact with the BLM and will be something I work on considerably in the coming months. I've read the RMP and there is a big push right now for the BLM to increase access to public lands. There is also supposed to be a citizens advisory committee appointed to deal with increasing access...I may know a person or two who would be interested in getting that committee up and running.

Every once in a while a landowner will pull this crap on the wrong person...

Congrats Buzz. Once your honey hole quits producing, you should hand that "secret" out to a few people so that the road keeps getting use from hunters :) LOL
That would be the sweetest justice that landowner could be served....big ol' dose of heartburn!

I was planning on scouting that same general area next year on while I was near there. I will make sure to make 110% effort to make sure I am on public and report the same if I think I am in the right. Looks like the "secret" is out now.

Congrats on what I'm assuming is #64. What's the count on dealing with dick-move landowners?

What's the count on dealing with dick-move landowners?

Dealing with one like this is more than enough...

In an interesting piece of irony, when I talked to this guy on the phone he brought up a proposed state land exchange by a neighbor of his. Of course, he's opposed to the exchange and told me the neighbor is "attempting to create a private hunting fiefdom by blocking access to public land"...

Oh really? That's terrible that another landowner would ever try to do something like that! I wonder if the guy ever looks in the mirror?

I think both my buddy and I went way above and beyond what was required as far as the landowner is concerned. My buddy actually told him exactly where we were going to camp and to stop by and visit with us and we'd buy him a beer, even though he denied us access. His response was that he "doesn't talk to hunters anymore because they accuse me of harassing them"...really? Wonder why he's been accused of that?

I have no doubt that people have trespassed on his property, but when a couple ethical hunters take the time to visit with him, invite him to our camp, give descriptions of our vehicles, etc...one would think that would ease some of the worries of trespass. We were told well in advance by the GF and others that we would likely run into this kind of landowner behavior, and why we attempted to head it off at the pass.

Nope, instead of embracing the fact that there are people that do it right, he doubles down on living up to his reputation of being a complete and total arsehole, and illegally posts a county road.

Its also worth mentioning that there is some off-road violations going on behind the road he has posted...and that is going on either by the landowner or someone who he is allowing vehicle access through his private. Its been reported to the BLM.

Now, since this landowner cant act like an adult, I will be making a run at increasing access into the area he has closed off. My buddy and I have both been in contact with the BLM and will be something I work on considerably in the coming months. I've read the RMP and there is a big push right now for the BLM to increase access to public lands. There is also supposed to be a citizens advisory committee appointed to deal with increasing access...I may know a person or two who would be interested in getting that committee up and running.

Every once in a while a landowner will pull this crap on the wrong person...

I see. You both definitely went above and beyond. Great example for us. Too bad it wasn't reciprocated. Seems like he may have gone above and beyond in the other direction. I agree, he picked the wrong guy.

When I lived in Wyoming this was a constant issue. I learned to study county road maps and had the local Sheriff's Office and G&F Warden on speed dial. The number of signs I saw that would dissuade the average hunter were astounding. For me, once I learned the area, the signs actually helped. Had a few landowners try and buffalo me but when confronted they always backed down. They claimed I was killing THEIR deer/elk because they would regularly go onto their private land. Good for you.

Hey Buzz -

Great job all the way around!!

Even though we've never met, you (and a small group of others on here) are the sole reason that I have had my successes out west!!

next time, take me with you! ;) Bucket list still has Muley and Elk on it.

Don

Although you may have done the right thing, you missed the boat on a more enjoyable approach using 50lbs of tannerite and a case of beer.

Why is WY so bad about this? Maybe it's just a perception from a NR? But it seems no other western state gets the press tgat WY does about its landowners and them blocking access, etc

Why is WY so bad about this? Maybe it's just a perception from a NR? But it seems no other western state gets the press tgat WY does about its landowners and them blocking access, etc

Its because Wyoming doesn't require private land to be posted along with the combination of fence lines not on true boundaries and often featureless areas meant for years you couldn't figure out a lot of public land before GPS chips. Guys got away with it for a long time and I'm sure law enforcement was always favorable to the locals when there was a doubt. A lot of the big ranch managers don't know exactly where the lines are at once their grazing leases consolidate their block of land it doesn't matter a whole lot to their business to know which 200 yard strip of public access connects a couple of pieces of BLM. Wyoming government pretty much only favors Ag and Mining interests, definitely not DIY public hunters.

When I went to Colorado this fall it was very clear what was private and public and that the trailhead access points across private were clearly developed and marked easements compared to Wyoming. I think part of it had to do with the state valuing outdoor recreation as business and also Colorado seemed to have more consolidated public lands than Wyoming with irregular chunks and land locked pieces are very much the norm in certain parts of the state.

Back