Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2010 AK moose hunt

Good job Buzz and sounds like you are onto a great spot for years to come. Were you shooting the 338? The tricycle makes you stop and think.

Ridge Runner,

I was shooting my 7mm with 160 grain partitions, I really wish my 338 would have been back from the gunsmith. I just dont think the 7mm is quite enough for those moose, or at the very least, right at the limit on moose. I'm actually thinking of buying an inexpensive 30/06 with a plastic stock to leave in Alaska with my buddy Tom. I think a 200 grain partition from the 30/06 would be a much better choice. I just get tired of lugging rifles through airports. I figure load up 150-200 rounds and just leave them at his place along with the rifle. Thinking a straight 4 or even 6 power scope, sighted dead on at 200 yards. Should be adequate for moose, blacktails, wolves, black bears, etc. and should IMO, perform better than the 7mm.

Anyway, I recovered 2 of the bullets. One was about perfect, that was my first shot that broke the on-shoulder. The bullet was just under the skin on the off-side just behind the opposite shoulder. The other partition really flattened out and the lead core in the rear of the bullet seperated and went??? Found that one in the broken opposite shoulder.

None of the shots made it completely through the bull.

A couple pics of the recovered bullets:

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3961.JPG

Congrats on a great hunt... There is some crazy stuff that guys in AK do on that river (if it is the one I am thinking of).... Bringing a tri-cycle along is the least crazy....

Looks like you had a great hunt, congrats on the moose.

I think you're picking nits when talking 30-06 vs 7mm. I'd be surprise if a 3006 could do any better.

A moose float in AK is to much much fun. Wild country and a nice river. You should go back soon.

Bambistew,

That could be...but I can pick one up pretty cheap and I wont have to haul it back and forth every year.

I still believe a lot in heavier bullets, and could go to the 175's in the 7mm...but I hate changing up bullet weights, resighting, all that crap. One load for each rifle, just like you stated.

I think adding 40 grains of bullet weight and a larger frontal area isnt going to make things worse, and IME, the 200 grain 30 cal. is a penetrating bastage.

I have warmed to the 7mm though...I'm not the hater I once was.

Great trip and pics.Love the fox.I wonder why alaska has so many color phase fox?

Holy maccarel, that's a lot of mooses. Two guys, gear and a raft? You loaded the moose or had a spare raft or what? Congratulations!

Back