Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2010 AK moose hunt

BuzzH

Finally getting around to posting up some pictures of my moose hunt. I got back to Laramie Thursday from AK and then took off immediately to hunt antelope here in Wyoming, just got into town a couple hours ago.

Anyway, on to the AK hunt.

I flew into Anchorage and met my buddy Tom and we took off for Fairbanks. Spent the night there and got on the river by about 2 PM. We ran for about 5 hours, seeing a legal bull moose and this guy:

IMG_3727.JPG

Pretty cool to see this young ram, lots of color for a "dall";). We spent the night on an island and then off to explore a potential sheep area for Tom. We didnt find a way into the sheep country Tom wanted to get to, so decided then and there to spend the rest of the time hunting moose.

Typical night on the river, just at dark:

IMG_3744.JPG

Along the way we ran into a couple interesting items left behind from earlier travelers to the river:

IMG_3835.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

Tom and I eventually found a great place for moose, absolutely loaded with them. On the hike into the area, we bumped 2 bulls. That night, we were over-looking some good country and saw a total of 6 and possibly 7 bulls (may have seen one bull twice).

A couple bulls through the spotting scope:

IMG_3757.JPG

nice story and pics. keep them coming.

It is amazing what you can find in the woods. sometimes you just have to scratch your head and ask..."why....."

continuing on.

After hunting for a couple days and seeing some more moose, it was fairly apparent that the blistering heat was hampering good moose activity. I passed one legal bull and decided if I got another chance, I'd shoot the next legal one I saw. Tom wanted some moose meat and I'd never shot an AK moose.

We glassed our prime spot the following night, only seeing one cow moose. We decided to hunt our way back to the river about 45 minutes before dark. I was crossing a large "open" area and thought I heard a bull calling. Sure enough, I heard one. I started calling to him and he covered ground fairly fast. I looked up ahead and he was about 75 yards away, coming straight to me. I lost sight of him for a while and he finally stepped out at about 40-50 yards. I looked him over, determined he was a legal bull, got confirmation from Tom that he was legal and decided to shoot him. I shot him off-hand through the shoulder. He fell, but got up and I shot him again. I shot him one last time for good measure. As we were taking pictures another legal bull came in. Tom could have easily shot him, but figured we had about all the moose we needed to deal with. It would have been great though, to have 2 legal bulls within 40 yards of each other. Probably not so great to have to pack 2 bulls though.

I was pretty darn happy to take this bull, considering the heat, the fact we were on an "exploratory" trip, and that neither of us had ever been to the area before. Tom was real happy to have a moose for the freezer as well.

A couple pics:

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

We boned and got all the meat in game bags that night, then spent the next day packing. Got the moose to camp that night and decided to float to another location. On the way, Tom spied something black on the shore. I looked through my binoculars and saw it was a black fox. I've seen only 3 others in my life, all in Montana, and decided to try to take him if I got the chance. Sure enough I got a chance and took it.

IMG_3815.JPG

That night we set up camp along the river and decided to try out some moose tenderloin, roasted on a willow fire.

IMG_3842.JPG

Shit just doesnt get much better than a "moosecicle" as Tom calls them, and we polished off both tenderloins in two nights:

IMG_3814.JPG

Tom and I glassed another area and saw one sheep and 6 black bears. One of the bears was a really good one and Tom wanted to make a run at him. We put on a good stalk, only to find the bear had hit the brush and we never saw him again. Would have been good to round out the trip with a bear.

A few pictures on the ride out:

IMG_3819.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

This trip was about the most adventure I've had on a hunting trip, and I still cant believe we pulled it off without many problems. There is definately potential for things to go less than ideally on this type of hunt. The country is remote and in the 5 days we spent in our new found moose spot, we saw no other boats, and only saw one airplane fly over. Tom and I both think we've stumbled onto a great moose area, and we're already planning next years trip. I think with some better weather, we have a real chance at a great bull.

The Wesson Oil can reminds me of the part in Proennek's film chronicle where he made his own metal containers.

Good job on the moose and pics Buzz.

Great pics Buzz! Congrats on your first AK moose and a succesful hunt.

Congrats ! Nice bull and a nice fox bonus too, cool. What river ? Looks too big to be Chena, maybe Tanana ? The Wood River area south of Fairbanks makes for some nice hunting and will put you into sheep territory as well. Sounds like a great trip. Now you just have to go back for the sheep and bear, a reason for another great trip in the future. Thanks for sharing.

Good job Buzz and sounds like you are onto a great spot for years to come. Were you shooting the 338? The tricycle makes you stop and think.

Great looking trip. Congrats on the moose and the fox is way cool.

Put me in the "green with envy" group. Looks like great fun. Congrats on the moose and fox.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back