PEAX Equipment

.17 HMR

I shoot left handed but most of my rifles are right. I'm considering a used rifle so right or left is fine. I just can't do a right hand thumb hole stock. I can actually shoot right or left hand but left is my natural.

I have a son who is left eye dominant, right handed but learned to shoot left handed. He can shoot both but is a natural now with a left handed rifle.

You’ll want a left handed rimfire for practice. Mine is set up with a scope and sling similar to my hunting rifles. It’s much cheaper to practice shooting with a rimfire than a standard rifle. Rimfires help correct shooting problems too.

I have a son who is left eye dominant, right handed but learned to shoot left handed. He can shoot both but is a natural now with a left handed rifle.

You’ll want a left handed rimfire for practice. Mine is set up with a scope and sling similar to my hunting rifles. It’s much cheaper to practice shooting with a rimfire than a standard rifle. Rimfires help correct shooting problems too.
Thanks for the input but I'm not exactly new at this. I reload and loading .223 is cheaper than the .17 ammo. I want a .17 because #1 I don't have one and #2 a buddy I shoot squirrels with has a .17. We generally shoot out of a pickup or off the hood. The .223 is too loud for our shooting. He's whacking squirrels out to 200 with his 17 while I'm damn lucky to hit them at that range shooting a .22 with hot ammo.
The base line Savage is starting to look pretty inviting.

Tikka T1x MTR or Savage would be my recommendations. I have shot both and both were good shooters.

A friend and his dad have Tikka 17HMRs they shoot great. I believe they make a left hand model but they are pricey compared to Savage and Ruger.

Your next best bet is to buy from another online retailer like Whittaker Guns, Buds Guns or Kentucky Gun Company.

Last edited:
I've always been a Ruger guy. I've been looking at the Savage but think I'll go back to what I know. I'll see about ordering a Ruger from my buddies gun shop.

I have a B17 and love it. Its a extremely accurate rifle and really puts a hurting on varmints. I usually leave it hanging in the kitchen behind a couple of aprons for the back part of my property. Its an absolute tack driver as long as there's no wind. easy 150-200 yard gun with a good rest. The wife actually killed her first coyote with it awhile back while it snooped around the chicken coop.

Picked up a Savage 93 with laminated stock and bb. The sporter barrel and synthetic stock models felt like a toy gun, but this one feels substantial and almost adult sized. It’s a stupid fun little gun. Really glad I went this route vs 22lr. Bolt slide is crunchy and could use some work, but she shoots. Tested five different rounds and found a couple good ones. Great gun for long range squirrels on the ground.

41333DF2-C4D3-4C65-8C46-8107EF7F36F8.jpeg

DCCCF9C4-FC04-4D91-884F-69EC8233797F.jpeg

Picked up a Savage 93 with laminated stock and bb. The sporter barrel and synthetic stock models felt like a toy gun, but this one feels substantial and almost adult sized. It’s a stupid fun little gun. Really glad I went this route vs 22lr. Bolt slide is crunchy and could use some work, but she shoots. Tested five different rounds and found a couple good ones. Great gun for long range squirrels on the ground.

View attachment 305595

View attachment 305596
You'll be changing the snot slippery recoil plastic butt pad pretty quick. They will take full advantage of a 12x scope also!

You'll be changing the snot slippery recoil plastic butt pad pretty quick.
Yeah, as embarrassing as it seems to buy a recoil pad for a rimfire 😁, it would result in a better lop as well. Will have to find the right model for this one. I assume the laminated stock is a different dimension than the wood/composite butts, but not sure.

Thanks for the input but I'm not exactly new at this. I reload and loading .223 is cheaper than the .17 ammo. I want a .17 because #1 I don't have one and #2 a buddy I shoot squirrels with has a .17. We generally shoot out of a pickup or off the hood. The .223 is too loud for our shooting. He's whacking squirrels out to 200 with his 17 while I'm damn lucky to hit them at that range shooting a .22 with hot ammo.
The base line Savage is starting to look pretty inviting.
Brother and I have done the same off his truck a few times with his HMR. Any rodent turns to pink mist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back