Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

.17 HMR TNT vs. V-MAX

Redmt

Any opinions for 17 HMR TNT vs. V-MAX and CCI vs. Hornady? I'm getting ready to get another case of ammo and my squirrel killing partner said he prefers the Hornady V-MAX to the CCI TNT that we got last time. We are both 80-90% shooters to 200 yds on ground squirrels. I'm good with that but the TNT from either manufacturer is getting harder to find. I don't want to buy a couple thousand rounds of the V-MAX if they're not as good.

My Marlin does not shoot CCI ammo well. I can shoot dime groups at 100 yards with either Hornady version but its over quarter sized groups with CCI

I'm not sure what size groups my buddy gets. I'm shooting probably nickel size groups until you get tired with an occasional "where the hell did that go?"
I should add that's of a very steady bench rest..

I’d bet good money that cci loads the hornady ammo. Flip a coin and/or buy whatever’s available

I have great luck with the Hornady 17 grain v max for gophers with the 17hmr. Really good accuracy and they hammer the gophers.

After an exhaustive study and a couple thousand rounds, my conclusion is that the TNT has better kill power. I've put solid shots into the f'ing ground squirrels with the V-max and watch them lay for a few seconds, recover and run again. I don't think the V-max has the expansion of the TNT.

They are both equally accurate. Have you ever tried the Federal ammo? I need to get another couple thousand rounds and hate buying something the rifle doesn't like. I have nearly 2000 Winchester .22 mag that doesn't group as well as they should.

If your staying with 17 grain, try the savage A17 load. It's 100+fps faster than all other 17 grain loads out there. You can also pick it up in a bulk box too

My savage 93r17 will cut baseball cards in half around 50 yards it's so accurate
We have parted many barbed wire strands that weren't visible in the scope. The 17 definitely has some whoomph to it.
I picked up a couple thousand CCI TNT. They definitely have more destructive kill than the V-max.

If your staying with 17 grain, try the savage A17 load. It's 100+fps faster than all other 17 grain loads out there. You can also pick it up in a bulk box too
That's a pretty expensive bullet! We shoot far too many rounds to be able to justify .40 plus cents a round. The CCI V-max and TNT are both plenty accurate. The TNT seems to do more damage than the V-max

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back