Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

10+ Years of Use, What Worked

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
lotsa leicas showing up in here. got a lot of leica recommendations in my need-a-new-range-finder thread.

i just realized my neoair xlite has also just crossed into 10 years. i bought a lot of new backpacking gear in one fell swoop around 10 years ago. it's been used quite a bit. similar to a lot of my gear - some summers of intense use and some summers of light or no use, its had to share my focus with a simple zlite. but it still get's used every year and i've never even had to patch it.

interesting to note, this year a lot of my hunting gear i bought 6-6.5 years ago finally broke or failed, much of it was relatively inexpensive stuff, but overall it all was solid for that time period.

a zipper on my MR marshall lid failed as well and i need to get that fixed. i'm transitioning to a stone glacier set up for day trip/from the truck hunts. my marshall has been my only hunting bag and it's slightly burdensome for day trips.

Oh, I've got one of those old green two-burner Coleman propane camp stoves that goes on every hunting trip too, it's got to be at least 50 years old and works like a charm.

Me too! However, this is in the Backpack Hunting section, and heck if I'm packing it in.

I think a bunch of folks missed that fact :D

Easton XX75 2514 arrows, my 2006 Mathews Switchback and my right shoulder lasted until this year. Upgraded all 3 not by choice.
I wonder how many guys are still shooting xx75's? My guess is less than 5%? Nothing wrong with them either killed a pike of deer with them. Another example of fixing a problem that never existed.

I wonder how many guys are still shooting xx75's? My guess is less than 5%? Nothing wrong with them either killed a pike of deer with them. Another example of fixing a problem that never existed.
My last 8 came off ebay lots of years ago. I would still be using them but finding nocks, nocks inserts and the inserts for tips got real tough. I think my XX75s were older than the guy that set up my new bow.

Just wandered through the garage.
Marmot eclipse 1p, though it doesn't get used all that much anymore
Walrus skyline, I have no idea how old it is, 80s? Still my only 4season tent
Walrus and Moss were bought by MSR when I was in high school so it's at least 20 years old. Walrus and Moss were both really well made; I had a Moss Stardome, and my HS buddy had a little Walrus 3-season tent.

Me too! However, this is in the Backpack Hunting section, and heck if I'm packing it in.

I think a bunch of folks missed that fact :D

I keep it in the truck at the trailhead if I'm backpacking too, it's easier and cheaper to use than my lightweight stove if I need that cup of coffee or hot food at the truck, like I said-it goes on every trip!

-Jetboil Zip
-Big Agnes Mystic 15 degree down bag
-Goal Zero Lighthouse Mini
-Zamberlan 980 Outfitter GTX late season boots
-Scott archery shark release
-First Lite merino wool 3/4 zip base layer and leggings
-Streamlight flashlight and headlamp
-Under Armour packable rain jacket

Walrus and Moss were bought by MSR when I was in high school so it's at least 20 years old. Walrus and Moss were both really well made; I had a Moss Stardome, and my HS buddy had a little Walrus 3-season tent.
I've got a Walrus skyline still floating around, it would definitely qualify in the 10+ category even though I mostly retired it 15 years ago...pretty sure I bought it on closeout when I was 16 and was convinced I needed a 4-season tent for everything... I still occasionally bring it truck camping, it's bomber, but boy is it heavy, I can't believe I carried that thing all over CO in the summer for years...

Kelty grand Mesa 2 man. Thought I lost it at one point. Found it and still getting the job done for spike camps 10 years on!

Black diamond head lamp don't remember the model. Trusted friend it has been. My only complaint over the many years is battery life isn't as good as it used to be.

--Hilleberg Allak (purchased 2011): I no longer own this one but I recently pm'd with the guy who does, it's still ticking. I used it hard for 8 years personally. You pay the price in $$ and a little weight with Hilleberg, but it does provide value.
Squirrel!

I feel like tents are one thing that have really changed in the last 10 years. Even "really nice stuff" from 10-20 years ago probably weighs 2-3x what a cheaper version weights now. And the materials are so damn tough (though maybe not as durable to abrasion) against wind and rain. I just looked at an MSR 3p carbon something on REI reuse that weighs <3lbs, while I have a sierra designs 3p from about 15 years ago that I still backpack with quite a bit that is around 9 lbs on the trail. Hard for me to justify spending much on tents seeing how much the tech/materials have evolved.

A north face down sleeping bag which is still working for moderate temps but has lost some loft, so I have a warmer bag as well. Got that in 96 for my birthday. I was a kid and too young to appreciate it, but grew into it and used it a ton.
A coleman one burner propane backpacking stove I got for 20 bucks in 2003, still works just fine.
Cabela's 2-man tent from 2003, just finally upgraded this year. Hundreds of nights in that thing.
I have a gray patagonia primaloft hoody (looks like a nano-puff?) that's been on most every camping trip for the last decade. Got it for under a hundred bucks, looks a lot more pricey now.
Bending branches canoe paddle. It's a pleasure on canoe trips to have a nice paddle in your hand all day.

Squirrel!

I feel like tents are one thing that have really changed in the last 10 years. Even "really nice stuff" from 10-20 years ago probably weighs 2-3x what a cheaper version weights now. And the materials are so damn tough (though maybe not as durable to abrasion) against wind and rain. I just looked at an MSR 3p carbon something on REI reuse that weighs <3lbs, while I have a sierra designs 3p from about 15 years ago that I still backpack with quite a bit that is around 9 lbs on the trail. Hard for me to justify spending much on tents seeing how much the tech/materials have evolved.
Tents and headlamps seem like they've made the biggest jump in the last 10-15 years.

My new fenix is 1500 lumens, a headlamp that bright used to be absolutely massive and heavy.

Wyoming saw, 20+ years
Coleman frame pack, 15 years
BD trek poles from Costco, 10+ years
Cabelas folding Benchmade knife, 15+.
Sitka lightweight pants, mothwing camo, 15+.
Pocket Rocket, 10+.
Homemade game hoist, parachute cord and chain links, 15+.
Eastern Mountain Sports lumbar pack, 12+.

The daddy of 'em all is a Russel Athletics hooded full zip sweatshirt. Camo is realtree hardwoods w big brown oak leaves, fugly as sin. It gets tied around my waist or in the pack come September. It kept me sort of dry a couple evenings this fall. 30+ days/year for over 15 years, still like new. No stains, perfect elastic on cuffs and waist, stout YKK plastic zipper w big teeth. Tried to wear it out for years so I could replace it w something more aesthetically pleasing, but it just won't quit. I admire that tenacity.

My knees, back, feet, and shoulders are all still original and working, but I wouldn't classify any of them as being in great condition. That's about all I can add to this thread.

Maybe a Big Agnes 3-person fly creek I got back at an REI garage sell when I was a poor college kid. BA sleeping bag my buddy gifted me in college as well. He had a bunch of mountaineering stuff for a guy right out of high school and was tired of me carrying my Walmart stuff on all our mountaineering trips. I rarely use either of those items anymore, but when I do they still work great.

MSR XGK stove, absolutely bulletproof and burns every liquid. I love to nitpick products, I can't find a single flaw in this stove.

Katadyn pocket water filter. It will turn toilet aids water into sparkletts and the 10k gallon capacity makes the price justified for long term

Pre Bass pro Cabelas green label was quality clothing. I still have plenty of their wool and a few pairs of boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back