Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

09 Goat hunt

indian larry

I got lucky enough this year to draw a goat tag out on kodiak and this will be my 1st year goat hunting so im kinda looking for some advise. some of the things i would like to know is if you were to do a goat hunt again what would of you done different and why. Also what gear worked and what would of you changed. I am planing on going out there late in sep so i have a feeling im going to get rather wet haha. im rather new at this so any help is good help.

larry

Larry,

What unit did you draw? Are you flying into an alpine lake or hiking in from the salt? Are you going solo or do you have a partner?
I was in great shape for my hunt, but I would try to get in even better shape. Hiking up through alders, I'd use an internal frame instead of an external.

TB

Your wrestling partner better go with you.

Are you gonna take the special hat? I want to see Hero shots with that on.

Larry,
What unit did you draw? Are you flying into an alpine lake or hiking in from the salt? Are you going solo or do you have a partner?
TB

we are flying into an alpine lake so that should give us a jump start on the climb. i wouldnt go as far as to say he is my "partner" but wyo is going with.

Your wrestling partner better go with you.
Are you gonna take the special hat?

damn right im taking the hat just because i can

I drew goat for this year, too.

I am also gathering info.

Advice from my outfitter might not apply for your hunt unitl

Outfitter suggested I get warm boots that fully protect my ankles. Twisted and broken ankles happen in my unit. I picked up Lowa Sheephunters since fits like a glove on my feet. The plastic boots are used by Search and Rescue around my unit and do not require breaking in so is another option. If you cross a lot of streams, can take the felt liner out of a plastic boot then wear the boot in water for a couple of minutes, pour out water on other side of stream and put liner back in boot.

Outfitter suggested Mystery Ranch backpack, 1600 cu inch.

Crampons for boots if will be on ice.

Alaska F&G rep at SLC show on Saturday suggest ice axe if going up steep inclines of loose rock or ice/snow. My outfitter bans axes, though, as too dangerous in his opinion. I will instead use a walking stick or two.

I live at sea level so will be in shape here but will not be able to really be in shape for altitude. There are concoctions to help with avoiding altitude sickness and I will use them because I am a flatlander.

Get some wool items if you do not have wool now. Some hunt units at certain points in the autumn can be very cold and very wet compared to hunts in the lower 48.

Outfitter strongly suggested MedJetAssist coverage.

Get access to great glass for the trip.

I am debating whether to get a lightweight digital video camera. I suspect the HD video cameras are too heavy to be practical. I usually carry a plain camera to snap a dozen or so pics during each hunt but this is my first goat hunt and trip to Alaska so might spring for video.

There are boundary maps at the Alaksa F&G site for each goat hunt code.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Crampons for boots if will be on ice.

Reword to state "crampons for boots if will be on ice or snot grass". Bring the in-step, you'll be glad you had them.

Indian Larry, check your pm's.

Goat Hunt Info

For those needing Info try going to website Alaska Directory .com
Much discussion about goat hunting. Good luck and be safe.:)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back