Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

cold, windy, snowy Wyo antelope hunt

elkantlers

I left Friday for my Wyoming antelope hunt driving into the huge storm that left over a foot of snow in my unit. I got there with a couple of hours of light left so I decided to ride out into the unit. The wind was blowing about 30mph+ and the visibility was not good. The drifts were bad and I was wondering if I should even be out here. Luckily I was able to get back to the main road. No antelope spotted that night in my area.
The next morning the skies were clearing but the wind was still howling and blowing snow. The roads were still drifted so I decided to drive the main road for a few hours hoping the wind would die down. I saw some antelope and a few bucks on BLM sections but nothing I wanted to shoot yet. About Noon I decided to head out into the unit and see how the roads were. They were horrible! My tracks were filling in about as fast as I made them.
Wyo antelope 2013 036.jpg

I found a spot to turn around and was heading back to the main road. Off in the distance I spotted some antelope in a small cut in a hill feeding out of the wind. I decided I would try for on of the does so the day wasn't a complete bust. After a short stalk I was able to get my first antelope on the ground. You can see the snow blowing in the background.
Wyo antelope 2013 014.jpg

I hurried and boned out the doe and got it in sacks. The snow was actually quite nice for cooling the meat and keeping it clean.
With one in the cooler I decided to head for the main road. I had only gone about a mile when I came upon a lady from Colorado driving a full size Toyota truck pulling a pop-up camper. I visited with her and found out she was headed to her property about three miles in. I helped her put chains on her truck cause she was really struggling pulling the camper. I gave her my phone # and told here to call if she had any problems. She was a nice lady and was very appreciative for the help. She wished me luck and I was on my way. I went about another mile and there were two trucks stuck. One had slid off the road and the other had gotten stuck trying to pull the first out. They were trying to dig themselves out with some push type snow shovels. I had two shovels in my truck and in about 20 minutes we had the dug out.
Wyo antelope 2013 015.jpg

I followed them to the main road and they thanked me for the help and said they were going to make the 70 mile trip to Laramie to buy some "Real shovels" before they went back out hunting. The rest of the day I just stayed close to the main roads and tried not to get stuck my self. right before dark I came across a guy in a truck that was out looking for someone that had called in and was stuck. I told him where I had been and that I hadn't seen the person he was looking for. He asked me if I was hunting antelope and said if I wanted permission to hunt his property I could. He gave me written permission and told me to shoot all I wanted. lol
The next morning it was cold and clear with about a 15mph west wind. I headed out into the unit and the roads were frozen and it was easy going. We headed towards the property that we got permission to hunt the night before. We didn't quite make it to the property when we saw a buck on some state ground that my brother wanted to try for. one shot later he had his buck down.

Wyo antelope 2013 022.jpg

We quickly took care of the buck and got back to hunting. We continued to make our way towards the property and the roads were starting to thaw out and get sloppy. As we continued to go I could tell that something wasn't right with my truck. It felt like the 4wd wasn't engaged. I check to see if the front tires were pulling and on;y the back tires were spinning. CRAP!! This wasn't good. I was about 20 miles from the main road with no 4wd. I was pretty sure the 4wd actuator that threads into the back part of the differential had gone bad, probably from all the moisture the past few days. I called and found the part I needed in Laramie, which was probably about 100 miles from where I was and 20 miles of that was slick as snot muddy, snowy, wet road. I got turned around and headed back but couldn't get up a small hill and kept spinning out. Well, time to pull out the chains. I got the back tires chained up and took off. I was actually going pretty good and for about 1/2 of a second thought about staying out and hunting. I came to my senses decided it would be better to get the truck fixed and then continue the next day. On the way out we were seeing some antelope. The temps had risen into the low 50's and I think they were enjoying the sun. There were several groups rutting. I thought no sense in wasting the drive so I got the spotting scope out to take a look. Nothing big, so we moved on. I saw a lone doe followed by a buck off in the distance. a quick look proved he was the best buck I had saw yet. They went over a small rise and out of site. I decided under the circumstances I should try a stalk. I parked the truck and got my stuff together. It was a short stalk as the were just over the rise. And like that I was done.

Wyo antelope 2013 034.jpg

He is a very pretty buck with horns that curve way back. He was longer than I thought, which is always a nice surprise. I have taken bigger bucks off the unit and was hoping for something larger but with all that went on and the crappy weather I am plenty happy with him. The plus is that we made it out to the main road ok and I didn't have to go clear to Laramie for parts.

I was able to meet up with Muskeez and his family. They are great people and I enjoyed visiting with them. I'm sure there will be a post from him when he gets home.

Looks like fun. I'm glad you guys were successful. I couldn't talk dad into staying after I spoke with you. After we got home I think he wishes we had stayed. Thanks for the info and congratulations on a successful trip.

That looks miserable. Hard to believe you two are brothers! :D

Congrats on the lopes.

good job elk! Ive been talking to Muskeez also and I'm sure he will have a post or two when he gets back for sure. Glad we headed out before that snow hit!! :)

Very cool. Congrats on the great success and also a big hand for helping the lady and the two other rigs that were stuck. Good on you.

I was all set to head to WY last Friday and Saturday to chase goats by Buffalo, but couldn't get there with the roads closed from the storm. Seeing your pics, I am thinking maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

I saw one 5 point elk in the back of a truck in Medicine Bow, That's it. I did see more mule deer than I ever have before.

bowhuntmontana, I wouldn't recommend hunting in that type of weather. My idea of an antelope hunt is sixty degrees and sunny. lol I will take the weather a little more serious when I go up there next year. No more Wyoming storms for me.

P.S it was the axle on the passenger side of the truck that went bad, not the actuator. I think what happened is the truck send power to the wheel with least resistance and the axel was just spinning and not turning the tire. Glad I didn't have to go to Laramie for parts. I would have probably changed the actuator only to find it wasn't bad. Then I would have been in trouble.

Good story and nice bucks elkantlers, thanks for sharing.

I like that savage action, I have a very similar setup to your rifle. Vortex Viper HS 4-16x?

The scope is a 4x16x50 HSLR. I really like the scope.

The rifle is a Savage 116 Weather Warrior in 6.5x284. I bought it specifically for Pronghorn hunting and it seems to fit the bill nicely.

Way to make the best of it! Looks like one that you'll remember for awhile. I to think, I was hunting in a rain jacket and short sleeves not too far (by WY standards ;) ) just week before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back