S.Dakota Mule Deer Hunts

molew

Anyone out there hunted Mule Deer in South Dakota? We may be Trying it ,any info would help.......we will be rifle hunting

Do you have any pref. points? If not your chances of drawing a west river any deer tag is slim to none.What area are you going to hunt, public or private?

Yes, my advice would be to bow hunt if you want to get a respectable buck on public land. If you are hunting private, the west river special buck draw is in April. I think there are better states to hunt Mule Deer as a non-resident unless you have access to quality private land or knowledge of public areas that few residents know about.

Can anyone tell me which states would be a better choice for Mule Deer as a nonresident?

From 1985-2006 B&C entries for Mule deer were as follows

Colorado 471
Idaho 264
Utah 189
Wyoming 143
New Mexico 130
Arizona 108
Montana 70
Nevada 44

All of those states have better public land Mule Deer hunting than SD. Now if you add Whitetails as an opportunity we have some pretty good deer hunting for numbers and it's pretty easy to draw.

BTW I drew my General Wyoming Elk tag, so anyone who wants to trade some more specific info on hunting South Dakota or waterfowl in Saskatchewan, or catching Walleyes feel free to shoot me a PM.

Colorados draw deadline is in 2 weeks so you have a shot there.You may be able to get a left over in Wy.And, Neb. has otc tags for muleys
You can find hunts in Co with no points so I'd start with that asap

Back