Silencers/Suppressors legal for hunting.....

Horn Seeker

This bill passed the senate here in MT and is going to the House... will be interesting if it passes.

Personally, I'd love it because I do NOT like to wear hearing protection while hunting and my ears are about SHOT....

BUT.... I most likely wont spend the $700 for a suppressor and permit NOR would I like the added weight and length to the gun.... so.....:rolleyes:

Suppressors don't weigh much. You can unthread it from the barrel and stick it in your pack as well. Most suppressors will actually help in accuracy as too.

They really shine on a .22 though. Squirrels will hear you giggle over the sound of the shot :)

I can sure understand the suppressor thing. But I hold this bill right up there with the spear-hunting bill. As in really? There are not more pressing issues?

I can sure understand the suppressor thing. But I hold this bill right up there with the spear-hunting bill. As in really? There are not more pressing issues?

There are 90 bills that directly relate to Fish and Wildlife issues this session, so your answer is: Apparently not.

I've shot a couple 22's and an AR in 223 with suppressors and loved it...

Speaking of which... has anyone used high end ear plugs that cut noise after 85db or so??? But allow normal hearing or even enhanced hearing at lower levels?

Thanks

Are there restrictions on calibers for silencers? I only ask cuz if there arent ive got to get busy planning my hunts inside yellowstone this fall.

mgun.gif

Are there restrictions on calibers for silencers? I only ask cuz if there arent ive got to get busy planning my hunts inside yellowstone this fall.

No caliber restrictions.

BTW - hunting in the park, with a silencer, or poaching in general will result in a federal offence.

well gosh, its a federal offense to hunt in yellowstone. in that case im buying the really good silencers, not making them out of pepsi bottles like i was gonna before i was informed of this ridiculous ban on hunting in national parks.

Silencers and suppressors?.....really?

Why not? There legal in most states, its common for them to be used for sporting purposes outside of north america. Its the $200 tax stamp and hassle of obtaining one, that keeps them for being somthing everyone owns. There not movie silent. On a rifle, there still loud as heck, you still have the super sonic crack, but you dont have to worry about permanent ear damage. There not a tool of poachers being able to shoot everything unnoticed. I cant see many getting lugged in the field for big game hunting. Varmit and predator hunting is were they shine.

I can't believe they are outlawed in the first place. By all means...I hope this one passes. Just think of the prairie dog hunting.

Kiwi...great site. They have one for a 300wsm I have my eye on. Now all I need is $400 and for this law to pass.

They have never been illegal to own, you just couldn't hunt big game with them. IIRC it takes a Class 3 dealer to sell you one, $200 fee per silencer and some serious back ground checks. Ohh and the law to pass

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back