Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rem mountain rifle vs Kimber montana

VAspeedgoat

I currently have a 700 mountain rifle in 7mm08. I like the gun ok but it is not my favorite. I really don't like the feel of the stock. It is a bell and carlson which is very good quality but it is too thick in the forearm and geip for my liking. I have rescently held a kimber montana and really like the slim stock. I am considering trading but was curious if there were any suggestions , for other guns or possibly stocks for my current gun. I am however concerned about the montana only weighing 5.5 pounds. Thoughts, concerns, or suggestions would be helpful.

I don't recall B&C making a mountain rifle stock and what you have may be for a larger contour. How does the barrel fit in the channel? If you want to restock you could get a McMillian in mountain rifle or my favorite is the KS in a MR contour.

Kimber Montanas are a solid option, not sure why you would be concerned about the weight, you can always put a 5lb dumbell in your pack if you are a glutton for punishment.

The new Howa Alpine is worth a look too as it may be a good fit for you.

The original Ti and Gander Mountain/Cabela's special runs all had the same B&C lightweight "mountain" stock. Stocky's sells this stock under model 2950/2951, IIRC. It is chunky to me as well.

As jr posted, McMillan has a few options that are trimmer than the B&C. However, in order to stay at the same weight as your B&C, you'll need to go with EDGE fill in the pattern of your choice, which will run about $600. The Hunters EDGE, KS, and mountain rifle patterns from McMillan would all be trimmer.

I have my wifes 7x57 mountain rifle an original Ti stock. I'll have put it up side by side with my EDGE KS and standard McM to see the differences. Off memory the Ti stock and my KS feel identical, but I've never actually compared them.

I was looking at the fit around the barrel and it appears to be for a regular sporter barrel. I do like the looks of the howa alpine. Can't find an msrp yet, will have to check at my favorite gun shop. They have said mine would be worth atleast 750 on a trade. I'm not sure if it is worth the price of the mcmillan to keep the gun or just put that money toward a trade. The gun just shoots ok right now but haven't experimented much. Around 1.5 to 2.

If Memory serves me right, in the Howa Alpine thread it was quoted between $1050-1100 on the Howa. Feel free to correct me if this is incorrect.

I have had issues with Kimber rifles and Kimber's customer service over the years. If it were up to me, I'd probably look at a Howa Alpine over a Kimber.

I apparently have one of Kimber's good rifles, and when I had an issue with one of my 1911s they took good care of me, but that is just my experience.

I am really intrigued by the Forbes Rifles as well. The 20b in 7-08 only weighs 4.5lbs. for about the same price as a Montana or Alpine. I have heard scattered reports on accuracy, but have never actually talked to someone who owns one.

I apparently have one of Kimber's good rifles, and when I had an issue with one of my 1911s they took good care of me, but that is just my experience.

I am really intrigued by the Forbes Rifles as well. The 20b in 7-08 only weighs 4.5lbs. for about the same price as a Montana or Alpine. I have heard scattered reports on accuracy, but have never actually talked to someone who owns one.

I've got a Forbes .25-06

Good accuracy in the few loads I've tried, but I haven't had time to mess around with it too much.

I have talked with a local gynsmith on having it redone bit looking at about 700 installed. I don't know if I want to just trade it in or get this one redone. For the money I'm getting ready to spend, it would go a long way on a trade. I just don't know if this is going to be better in the long run or wasting money.

I have to think with some effort it will do better better than 1.5-2". The Remington Mountain Rifle pattern McMillan is slim and light with edge fill. As a cheaper alternative, bed in a used Mountain Rifle wood laminate stock, should have the ergonomics you're after for under $100. They come up often on 24hourcampfire classifieds. You could bed the lug yourself. Until you wring it out and figure if it shoots to your standards or not I wouldn't do much either way.

I have talked with a local gynsmith on having it redone bit looking at about 700 installed. I don't know if I want to just trade it in or get this one redone. For the money I'm getting ready to spend, it would go a long way on a trade. I just don't know if this is going to be better in the long run or wasting money.
What's the $700 installed for? Is that the cost of a McMillan EDGE and bedding? If so, you could then easily sell your B&C and pocket $200, leaving roughly a $500 difference. If you go the trade-in route, I think you posted earlier you could get $750, and what are new Kimber MTs going for, $1100-$1200? You're still looking at a $400 difference and you may have to bed the Kimber too.

To me it would come down to whether or not I preferred one type of action over the other, whether the Kimber stock fit me well, and whether I was willing to wait several months for a McMillan that was in a pattern and length-of-pull that I specified.

The wood mt rifle stock pattern is one of my favorites. I have 2 Mt rifles and a Kimber. Like them all, but fit the wood socks the best. The Kimber has very little drop so I needed higher scope mounts to get a good fit. McMillin stocks are probably the biggest waste of money around... IMO. What does a stock that costs as much as a rifle do for you? Been killing piles of animals for years with standard equipment, and never wanted more. YMMV

The wood mt rifle stock pattern is one of my favorites. I have 2 Mt rifles and a Kimber. Like them all, but fit the wood socks the best. The Kimber has very little drop so I needed higher scope mounts to get a good fit. McMillin stocks are probably the biggest waste of money around... IMO. What does a stock that costs as much as a rifle do for you? Been killing piles of animals for years with standard equipment, and never wanted more. YMMV

I've never figured that out either, then again, I've never owned a Micky.

I own both the B&C Carbelite and the Alaskan Ti. Prefer the Carbelites form by quite a bit.

But the Ruger Carbelite is terrible IMO.

The only reason id go Micky is for the weight of an Edge.

I didn't explain very well. The 700 was for a proof research with bedding and custom paint. He also carries mcmillan. The best part is I can lay my hands on it and make sure it is right. Thanks WT, never thought about the value of the bc stock. That helps to justify the extra $. Bambistew, I hear ya, I have been really wondering if I am trying to reinvent the wheel. All of my favorite rifles are just standard stuff with a story. I guess I am trying to have one rifle that could handle any type of hunting I am likely to ever do. That means any animal, place or weather. Unlikely to ever do a griz or moose. Elk are possibly the biggest I may ever try. The biggest question I am having is justifying the extra money spent on this rifle verses just getting another. Which leads to another question, is there really some issues at kimber? I am really seeing some bad stuff out there and find it hard to beleive.

If (big if) you get a Kimber that doesn't shoot the are three things you can do. Bed the action, shorten the front action screw and/or grind off the magazone a touch. Basically the same stuff I'd do with your 7-08 to get it to shoot. In additional to handloading for both too.

I have an 84M in .308

Maybe you have to carry one for a while, but after doing so, the risk of a bad Kimber is worth it .

Back