Intro for a 12 y/o to hunting.

Have fun. Include boats. Skip school. My wife and I were mentors with a young lady through BIg Brothers/Big Sisters, age 6-16. We dragged her camping, boating, plinking, even though she had no experience or inclination with it. If she was going to spend time with us, she was going to be outside. She grew up and has a career in the BLM and says times with us were among her happiest childhood memories. Very rewarding.

I wrote this a while back after taking my daughter out and hope it helps others that are embarking on that adventure. Just keep it fun no matter what it is. And her view of fun is much different than yours, and that's ok.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2014/03/19/lady-hunters-tips-starting-young/

Thats possibly the best article I have ever read on kids in general not just daughters. Thanks so much for posting that. Unfortunately I have made many of the mistakes you warned of but I try to evolve and keep improving. Thanks again for writing and sharing that.

I wouldn't suggest bringing her to a HT bear hunt quite yet :D

OR, EVER !!

My son joined me early on, for several hunts. I tried to spark his interest in hunting, but he's never really took to it, so far. Shooting he's cool with. I started him out with a easy bow, then a pump .177 rifle. We never shot at paper targets. It was always those little plastic GI Joe plastic toys we set into our make shift 'combat zones", and played war, Animal crackers with a similar theme, or knocking pecans out of the trees in the back yard. He actually got pretty good, verrrrry fast, cuz it was fun.

It was a great day out shooting. She was outstanding and very SOLID on listening to the safety aspects of shooting! She actually nailed the target 3 of 4 times for her very first time shooting. It was amazing how sharp she was to understanding and finding her own comfort with the process while keeping in tune with safety.

Thanks all for the great tips, etc! Hunt Talk guys are all good! Including the annual Bear Hunt talk guys (and gals. :) ) Though I am sure to heed the advice to wait many years before introducing her to such a crowd. Just kidding of course. John, she would dig your food! :D

picture.php

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back