Idaho goat tag!!!!!

I think im going to try and get at the buck first, but if i see the billy i want all also make an attempt on him as well. The middle goat in the top picture looked to be the biggest. Not sure on horn size yet but ill have some better optics during the hunt so i can pick the best one out. If i get a great shot at one of the goats i dont think i could pass on him, ill end up pulling the trigger. The fur looked pretty good to me, but i know the longer you wait the better they look.

I havent made it back to ross peaks as of yet..... ATV is broken and in the shop.......Im planning on hunting the northern part of unit 48 where i have already spotted some goats. If i end up getting my atv out of the shop anytime soon im going to make a run for ross peak, and some of the drainages around there. But seeing how hunting season is just around the corner and everyone is trying to get a bike/ATV tuned up/fixed im not counting on having it back any time soon.

Already packed up my pack and the essintials for the Truck. Constantly looking at the weather reports..... have a game processor and Taxidermist in line already..... Days are starting to slow down as the hunt draws closer and closer....... Im ready to take off to the mountains TODAY, but sadly i have to wait till friday.

Cant wait to read everyone elses posts after the opener. good luck everybody and be safe.

Well i ended up taking my Billy on opening day up in the sawtooths.
i got into the mountains on friday afternoon. Hiked into the drainage that i wanted to hunt and set up camp. As i was setting up camp i could hear rocks crashing down the cliffs to the east of me. i got over to a good vantage point and after a few minutes of glassing i spotted a nice billy eating his way along the cliffside. i watched him for an hour or so then went back to camp to finish getting things set up and so i could eat some dinner. After dinner ( around 730 or so) i decided to glass arouund the cliff faces that surrounded me. I found another two goats that came over the ridge and. I watched these two till dark then i turned in for the night.
The next morning i wole up before the sun came out and headed over to a good glassing area that i would be able to see the entire cliffy drainage i was in. at first light i spotted the same to goats from the night before at about 250 yards in front of me and at about a 35 degree angle. I closely looked at the two billies and found the one i had been looking for. time to make the stalk and get into a better position. I hiked up the hillside to try and get a better vantage point on the goats. By this time it had started to rain making it a little easier for me to sneak around the rocky hillsides. I had gained about 3-400' in elevation and had gotten to a little knob off the cliff. There they were 150 yards facing away from me. I lyed down on the rocks and set up to make the shot, i waited, and waited, and waited. Finally at about 182 yards the billy gave me a great broaud side shot and i took it. he hit the ground like a ton of bricks then did a slow roll for about 40 yards down the shale coverd hillside. Goat DOWN! After the grueling pack out and drive home i got the billy into G&F to have the biologist do his thing. The billy measured 7 3/4" on the right and 8" on the left, and aged at over 10 years old. This has been one of the most memorable and fun hunts of my life and wish i could do it again someday. I will post pictures soon.

Congrats man, that's awesome! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Awsome! Congratulations on that goat tag.
I apply for everthing I'm eligable for in NV. I have 8 preference points for mt goat, but the area I apply
for has only 1 tag per year. I apply for this area because I see the goats every year when deer hunting
and it's a lot more leg friendly for someone who has been climbing the exact mountain where the goats live since about 1979 so the clock is ticking.

Back