Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho Elk Unit 66a-1

Tiredofthebickering

Howdy all!

My ol' man drew an any bull tag for this unit for 10/15-10/24 and I'll be headed up with him! We're planning to be north east of Montpelier in the Diamond Creek area.

It's been 20+ years since he hunted here and I was too young to remember most of it, lol. I'm curious what we can expect as far as other hunters in the field and the amount of game we'll see? We'll also be looking for muley bucks since we have OTC tags as well. We'll be showing up and camping in the unit from 10/14-10/20. What you do you think our odds are to get a bull on the ground in that amount of time? It doesn't have to be a monster, it will be his first elk so it's a trophy either way :)

Of course any tips or advice are appreciated as well. Thanks everyone!

You should have a good chance of killing a bull. Last years success rate was 53% and the average number of days hunted was 5 days per hunter. Keep in mind that the general deer season is open during that same time period so you may not run into many elk hunters but the deer hunters will be everywhere.

Thank you sir! That is kind of what I'm worried about, being able to get away from the crowds. We're planning on hiking up to the top of a few ridges early in the morning and spending a lot of time glassing to find animals to go after. I'm just hoping my dad is remembering the area correctly and we're not going to busting brush/timber the whole time, lol.

Are there a lot of deer hunters because there's a lot of deer or just because it's an easy to access area?

Not that it really matters, but it turns out I was wrong lol. We are going to the northeast out of Georgetown rather than Montpelier. Thanks again!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back