The power of fire.

That fire started at 2:00 yesterday afternoon. The time lapse couldn't have been more than 4 hours or so. Man, that thing is hot!

Holy smokes! Looks like some erratic winds and terribly difficult conditions. Prayers to all those in harms way.

If watching that video doesn't make you feel insignificant I don't know what would.

Some photos-

rl1.jpg

rl2.jpg

rl3.jpg

I watched this earlier today on my Facebook feed. I can't imagine how crazy seeing it in person must be.

This is one of those you didn't want to happen but it was always there. From the last I heard, the number of structures lost hasn't even been assessed yet. Watched it blow up from my house. Helpless feeling. mtmuley

That fire started at 2:00 yesterday afternoon. The time lapse couldn't have been more than 4 hours or so. Man, that thing is hot!
30 years ago I saw the Red Owl fire on the west side of the Swans gain about 4000' mountain in about 30 minutes. Luckily it stalled on the ridgeline. This is on the west side of the road isn't it? I'd guess it would be easier to get this one out since you have the valley floor in its natural path.

I have never seen such iradic fire behavior. I was on this fire till 2:00 AM this morning. Every possible resource was put on it yesterday. The structures lost was assessed today and should be released this evening.

Latest reports are 4,500 acres and 14 homes destroyed. It's been getting very cold at night which is hopefully helping, but 30-50 mph gusts are expected this afternoon/evening. Nothing in the forecast looks like relief.

What's this thing doing today? Social media just keeps echoing the same dramatic photos from day one.

We were expecting extremely high winds. So far it isn't bad. It was cool this morning so the fire laid down a bit. 14 people lost their homes. Sunday was one of those really bad perfect days for fire conditions. Praying for no wind. mtmuley

Yeah, Inciweb is painfully slow in getting information out. Usually Twitter and Facebook are best.

Approximately 1,000 Ravalli County Homes Receive Evacuation Notice

Nearly 1,000 homes in Ravalli County are now under a stage one or stage two evacuation advisory. According to Ravalli County Undersheriff Steve Holton, both evacuation types expanded today, August 2.

“Everything from Owings Creek west of Westside Road is the boundary, north to Wyant Lane is now under a Stage Two evacuation,” Holton said. “Previously they were under a warning of Stage One, but now they are under a Stage Two, which is the request to actually evacuate the area.”

In the expanded warning area, Ravalli County Deputies went out to deliver Stage One evacuation notices door-to-door.

“The Stage Ones expanded today from Wyant Lane north all the way to Blodgett Camp Road, and everything west of that to include Canyon Creek and Canyon Creek Drive, Holton said. Again, Stage One is the warning and really what the warning is saying is that there is a real possibility that there could be a need to evacuate. It’s to give people more time to get things together.”

Holton says residents in about 20 to 30 homes signed a waiver refusing to evacuate and that law enforcement and firefighters are taking note of who remains in the area in case the worst should happen.

Over 800 homes are now evacuated in the vicinity of the Roaring Lion forest fire.

Back