Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Youth Antelope

DRAFTSTUD

My 14 yr. old son wants to hunt a Pronghorn, but we keep running into School schedules that won't allow for this. Are there any Youth Hunts before School starts? We aren't talking about this coming year, as I have already bought into an 8000 acre Mississippi Deer lease for the upcoming season. Any Suggestions?

You could do a pretty quick antelope hunt in four days from Louisiana. A day on each end getting there and back and two days of hunting. Its easy to get tags in many places in WY. I bet he could get by with missing a couple of days. We tagged out on our first antelope hunt on public land last year in two days - in an area with very high pressure. I'm hunting a ranch this year. I plan on taking my two sons when they get a little bigger. If you were willing to spend money on a plane ticket, you drive up and pick him up at the airport. You could probably get in done in only two days that way.

Chambero, Thanks for the info! I grew up in Ft. Worth until I was Twelve. Until I was around 8 or 9 we lived on Britton Street, near Carter H.S., we then moved out to Hurst, then it was wide open, nothing! Man, it has sure changed. I went by a place to show my kids where I used to fish at a pond and the pond had been filled in and a House was in it's place!!! Your are right, I could make a run in Four days and get him his Antelope, he could care less what size it is, as long as it is a representative of the species. Thanks, John

I go through Shreveport pretty regularly on my way to Fort Polk. My company does work for the Army there. I had a blast on my first antelope hunt last year and am going back again this year. I think it will be a great first western hunt for kids. Mine are only 5 and 3, but I will be taking them before too long.

pronghorns are pretty easy if you get land with a good herd. in wyoming you can pay a tresspass fee to a landowner and you should probablly be able to tag out in a weekend.a list of landowners is available through wy. fish and game, you just tell them the area you want to hunt and they will send you a list

Personally, I'd save my money on the trespass fees. If he's not looking for a big'un, just go. There's plenty here (hunttalk) that would be willing to help you out. Heck, if you put in for anything west of Rawlins and south of Pinedale, I'll put it with you and go myself. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about school. They don't bat an eye for a kid taking off for week or so to go to Disneyland, so just send a note to the school saying you're taking him out for a week. My dad did that my senior year of high school and it was definitely worth it.

Back