PEAX Equipment

youth 22

Robertsj22

thinking about getting my son more involved in shooting and was going to purchase a 22 for him to start using. anyone have any recommendations on a kids gun. hes only 5 so im hoping to get something that he can use for a few years to develop some skills.

If you can find one, a TC hotshot is the best one I've seen. It's a simple break-action single shot, very light, very small. I like the simplicity of this kind of action for little kids. Check gunbroker. I got mine there (they don't make them anymore) and it was cheap.

I got my kid a Savage Rascal. Simple bolt action with no magazine, cheap under 200$ if I remember right. Stock fit him great he is kinda of outgrown it though.

Five year olds have trouble manipulating actions. 22lr AR type will have adjustable stock. May have to get aftermarket trigger for him to be able to pull it. My kids used two fingers for even a bb gun until 8.

Suggest teaching shooting from rested aim. That way the weight doesn't matter and he will learn faster because he won't be fighting a moving sight picture.

Its easier to take it easy and build skills slowly than to fix mistakes.

I have had both a Cricket and a Rascal for my kids. Rascal is well worth the extra few dollars, and is far superior. Better trigger, sights, cocking mechanism, safety, and, most importantly, a feed ramp and larger opening for loading

Cricket is great, but I have seen a lot of young kids struggle with the cocking piece. Especially keeping the muzzle downrange safely while trying to @#)(# the rifle. They always end up in some contortion with the muzzle going sideways, until they get it figured out. Rascal is the better choice, IMO. Single shot with a good trigger for a very modest price. The only drawback to the rascal is the peep rear sight is not 4H legal for shooting sports.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back