Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Your Public Land

297_zps1rxzjcpq.jpeg

I see nothing wrong with demanding a little accountability.
If the FS had its act together there'd be a lot less people supporting those who want to privatize its holdings.

Are they reallyunderfunded? Or just inefficient, top-heavy, and operating in the 1980s, filing mountains of paperwork by hand, faxing things, and corresponding by passenger pigeon? But I do agree nonetheless we could give them more money without increasing spending. Plenty of places to cut and divert money from.

The money we spent to televise Pakistani criquet league , or to study whether or not Japanese quail are more sexually promiscuous when they are high on cocaine, could definitely go to the forest service instead.

Now we're really getting off topic.

Are they reallyunderfunded? Or just inefficient, top-heavy, and operating in the 1980s, filing mountains of paperwork by hand, faxing things, and corresponding by passenger pigeon?

I wish the FS was operating at the corresponding level of funding as the '80's...

Yes, the fs has a huge fleet of passenger pigeons...:rolleyes:

Why is this not locked yet?

Because its mostly staying on point.

In my opinion it illustrates where a lot of unfounded outrage comes from. In particular a perfect misunderstanding of the "facts", how a couple pictures can be used as "proof" of the "top heavy", "ineffective", government agencies who are charged with managing our public lands.

Managing public lands is not an exact science...news flash, it never has been. Mandates, management practices, etc. don't happen in a vacuum. What was acceptable 20 years ago, many not be today. Mandates change, priorities change, timber values change, mills close, trade agreements are made/modified/withdrawn etc. etc. etc. Forests also don't evolve in a vacuum either, priorities change as forest health, vigor, stand age, and all other uses of the forest change with time as well.

In this case, we don't even know what the goal was...without knowing that fact first, the rest is pure speculation. What I find troubling is that BHR is absolutely losing his chit over a 20 acre piece of public FS land, BEFORE the facts are known. This is the problem, and why, no matter what the FS does, they are always going to be criticized.

When the FS manages millions of acres, not every decision they make is going to be the right one for every user or member of the public with an opinion of what "right" is.

The reality is, that thinning and slashing a 20 acre piece of ground is not going to cause a "major shake up" within the BNF...and sure as heck isn't worth losing ones mind over.

Last edited:
It probably will be soon. I probably should toe the line and tone it down a little bit, but a spade is a spade.
Maybe others disagree but Tequilas obnoxious continual berating of anyone he slightly disagrees with, to me, is more of a nuisance than someone who uses a 3 letter word to call him out on it one time.

I find my self at the other end of the ideological spectrum from Ben L often, for example. But he is definitely tactful and actually witty, well reasoned etc.

I wish the FS was operating at the corresponding level of funding as the '80's...

Yes, the fs has a huge fleet of passenger pigeons...:rolleyes:

What did an 80s budget look like adjusted to today's dollars?
Approximately

This project is right out my back door and is as import to me as it is the OP. BUT to talk of a major FS shake up before knowing any facts or even if the project is complete is silly. Right now I am sure it's buried in snow. So before jumping to a bunch of conclusions let's let the Forest Super do her job.

A 20 acre thinning project carved out of the entire Bitterroot National Forest shouldn't warrant a shake up of any kind without all the info. Right now I am more concerned about the two foot drifts of cement across my driveway.

carry on BHR

Last edited:
I know you think you are witty, but you really just come across as an arrogant, loudmouth asshole who hasn't been humbled in a good old "western "fashion in a little too long.

Yea well that will probably get Big Fin's attention. Someone always has to take it too far.

This project is right out my back door and is as import to me as it is the OP. BUT to talk of a major FS shake up before knowing any facts or even if the project is complete is silly. Right now I am sure it's buried in snow. So before jumping to a bunch of conclusions let's let the Forest Super do her job.

A 20 acre thinning project carved out of the entire Bitterroot National Forest shouldn't warrant a shake up of any kind without all the info. Right now I am more concerned about the two foot drifts of cement across my driveway.

carry on BHR

A big shake up over 20 acres out of what, 200,000,000? A bit unwarranted IMO. Hell, I saw BF miss an elk, deer and antelope on TV so I suspect a big shake up is coming on Fresh Tracks, it's inexcusable not to be perfect 100% of the time and hit what your aiming at.

I should go work for the FS or BLM, having consulted at some of Silicon Valley's finest companies, from those that have been around for 20+ years, to those that have gone through IPOs, and the spear tip of innovating startups I'd be curious to see how they stack up in terms of inefficiency. To me this sounds like a minor snafu with a few inconsistencies. Compare that to local subsidiaries of a global multinational going rogue violating intracompany agreements, creating permanent establishment (a very bad thing) in non-operational jurisdictions, human rights violations, and basically putting the entire global structure of a publicly traded company at risk this doesn't seem like a big deal.

Having had to deal with the IRS and a multitude of state and local taxation entities they had it no different than many of the companies I worked for. Could both businesses and government agencies work better, yes, absolutely....but having been at a number of companies and working with various government agencies the delta isn't as wide as many think.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drouht
Back