Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Your kid's first deer....

RobG

Maybe other people have a story to tell. Here's mine from yesterday.

Katie got her first deer yesterday. I didn't want to have her shoot something 15 minutes into her first day so we got out late. Just as well as she didn't want to get up at 5am either.

We got to the BMA about noon and walked the highlands and spotted some forkhorns on the other side of the fence. We sat around waiting for them to cross the fence, but they never did. Bored, we put a sneak on a bedded down mule deer doe (legal in this area). We got within 30 yards but the sagebrush kept her from getting a clean shot before it busted us. That's ok, the only thing worse than getting an animal 15 minutes into the hunt is getting one on your first sneak. I also wanted her to get a buck anyway so she'd have the antlers to remember.

About 5pm we gave up on the mulies and went to a bluff overlooking a river bottom. The whitetails were moving around in front of us almost immediately - but all of them were too far. We had decided 100 yards was the longest we wanted to shoot, and it was to be broadside, high shoulder.

Finally we watched a pair of bucks make their way to within 50 yards of us. They were in the willows and Katie kept having the scope black out every time they would get to an opening. Remarkably she remained calm. They eventually popped out in a field 100 yards away. Again, Katie couldn't get the scope on the first moving animal before it was in the willows, but she calmly switched to the second animal. Boom! She hit high shoulder and grazed the spine - instantly dropping the buck. Whew!

Then comes the fun part: I had her put on the laxtex gloves so we could gut the deer. When done, she took the gloves off and put them back in my pack. It turns out that she was perfectly happy letting me gut the whole thing so there was no need to throw away clean gloves. Or help daddy drag it out. Maybe next time, she still has a B tag, and an Elk. :D

Anyone else have a story to tell?

Attachments

• katie 1st deer waiting.jpg
    katie 1st deer waiting.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 475
  • katie 1st deer.jpg
    katie 1st deer.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 416
Atta Girl Katie.

Nice job Dad. Good luck on the Elk.

Lovely young lady Rob....you should be proud on all counts. Congrats to Katie.

Way to go. Taking your kids out is always special.

Awesome! I love these stories and posts! Well done young Lady!! I'm off with my 17 yr old in 30 minutes to look for her 2nd ever whitetail. She shot a doe last year and has been holding out for a buck now as well. Season ends Sunday, so we'll see... As my brother says,.. "Just good to get out" - Keep at you guys and gals, there's not much more special than sharing these times with the kids!! Congrats again!!

Congrats on what had to be a great time. My son watched his first one get whacked this year, he was so pumped up you would have thought he shot it. Great job!!

Great job on the deer but more importantly the memories.

My son also shot his first buck this weekend. As a father it is a feeling one cannot describe but its one of the greatest feelings I've experienced while out hunting.

Congrats again to you and your daughter...!

My girls first!

We found this doe in the field up the street from the house. We were able to crawl to 80 yards and her .243 did the rest. She is 9 in this pic and the doe weighed a healthy 131!

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 273
Nice pics guys.......here is my daughter first buck. She was nine
Savannasplit13-2.jpg

Awesome pics!
DoubleTrouble, I hope I will kill a buck like that before I run out of time!:confused: That's a heck of a buck for any hunter.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back