PEAX Equipment

Yeti or Cabelas Outfitter Cooler?

Anyone tried Rtic Cooler yet? If they don't get sued into bankruptcy, they *look* promising.

I belong to a couple of hunting type pages on facebook and people have tried to buy them. They will take the order and take your money, but when you don't get your cooler in a timely fashion and call customer service, they are telling people that they are on a several month backorder.

I broke down and bought Dad a Yeti for Xmas to use at our base camps. ( Cause I'm not packing it around a lot!!) They are heavy and expensive and not a ton of room, but, it was 1 thing he didn't have!! LOL. I Bought my wife and myself the 32oz tumblers and they are awesome!!!

I won a 65 qt yeti at a DU banquet.

I would of never bought it but I've used it enough to gather my thoughts on it.

Its heavy. 30 lbs without anything it. You load it up with beer, ice, meat, whatever and that thing hits 70 lbs no problem. If you are keeping it in your campsite, trailer or back of you truck, fine. If you have to move it, you'll need at least two men. I've seen Orca coolers that are similar that have wheels and pull handles, those look appealing.

That thing will keep ice, no doubt. Nothing matches it.

Personally, my cooler use is mostly during fall/winter when I'm hunting and it is usually cooler outside. I use them infrequently in the summer. So, I don't need a roto-molded monster...something cheap, light and identifiable is all I need.

Having said that, I will pull that sucker out during the summer when we have folks over and put it on the deck full of drinks. It serves as a nice congregation point.

Had a bear raid our camp near Aspen, CO this past summer and the only coolers that weren't broken into (aside from the ones locked in cars) were the 2 Yetis at camp. My 50 qt now has a big claw mark over the latch, which I think is pretty cool! I don't know much about the Cabela's coolers, but they look burly and likely hold ice just as long as a Yeti. The weight is probably the biggest issue with all the "super" coolers.

I have The 150qt Cabelas Alaskan guide Grizzly cooler, the thing is a beast and when packed full makes it a 2 man job loading in a vehicle. Ice retention is excellent, mine went from Ohio to Montana and back over a 3week trip in Sept. bringing back ice I started the trip with (of course conditions & care played a role in achieving this). The gripe I have with it are the handles that are molded protruding out from the cooler, pain the the a$$ when packing your vehicle, for this reason I would not buy another one, unless I got a killer deal again like I did on mine.

Take a look at K2 coolers. They have a "scratch and dent" section on their website. They are discounted, and I couldn't find a thing wrong with mine. Worth a peek.
120 qt cooler is $329

Got a buddy who ordered an RTIC and I am waiting to hear how that goes......He is in $199 for a 65qt I believe.

Do research on the actual size of a Yeti. A yeti 65 doesn't mean it holds 65 quarts it's just a model number. A Pelican 65 holds at least that. And costs $150 less. Yetis are extremely overpriced compared to other similar coolers on the market. I'm not saying they aren't good coolers but do some cost comparisons. It's pretty unreal.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back